My Secret: Tiny Carts.

PalmerTech said:
Which brings up an interesting subject: These boards are only 20 traces or so, and large ones, too, with only 3-4 chips. You could very easily make a homebrew board that is hella small.

This would be very interesting to see.

Anyone mind whipping up an example in MSPaint? I'd be interested in doing this.

I have decided that despite how cool it is, I will have to pass on this for now. Making tiny carts takes forever, and I just found out that my DK64 cart has a chip BARELY far enough off to the side to not be able to fit within my "standard small cart dimensions". In addition, it will not match my case perfectly, ruining the whole point. Even beyond RCP wiring, there is more that can be done to make a smaller N64, and until I am willing to go that far, making smaller carts is mostly a waste. :(

I currently have an "easy fix" to make them a bit less wide, and still retain most of the cart, with minimal effort. Details to follow.

Dude, making these smaller is like cutting off parts of a DMG mobo, they're almost 25% ground, and the connections would be super simple to rewire ;)

I know, exactly. Why make them smaller, unless you want to go ALL the way and make them REALLY small? ;)

Argelfraster said:
PalmerTech said:
I know, exactly. Why make them smaller, unless you want to go ALL the way and make them REALLY small? ;)
How would you make them REALLY small?
Dismantle the circuit board and rewire everything smaller with no wasted space.

Yep! There are only like 5 different layouts for N64 cart mobos, I wonder if it would be a good idea to make a batch of PCBs and sell them... Even freehand wiring would not be too bad. ;) They could be barely bigger than a GBC cart. A little thicker, but still! :mrgreen:

@Argelfraster: If you plan on just grinding the edges down, I call dibs. :lol:

PalmerTech said:
Yep! There are only like 5 different layouts for N64 cart mobos, I wonder if it would be a good idea to make a batch of PCBs and sell them... Even freehand wiring would not be too bad. ;) They could be barely bigger than a GBC cart. A little thicker, but still! :mrgreen:

Grinding down the edges? Palmey PLEASE!
I'm gonna get rid of the circuit all together.

Argelfraster said:
PalmerTech said:

And have what-an empty shell? "LOOK KIDS, IT HAS ALL THE FUN OF INSERTING AND REMOVING AN N64 CARTRIDGE, WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF PLAYING THE GAME! AMAZING!!!"

Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:
PalmerTech said:

And have what-an empty shell? "LOOK KIDS, IT HAS ALL THE FUN OF INSERTING AND REMOVING AN N64 CARTRIDGE, WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF PLAYING THE GAME! AMAZING!!!"
OMFGWTFROFLMFAOLOLPWNT

And, Argel, I seriously doubt your skillz. And, Palmertech, it's not worth all of the work for every game in your collection.

eurddrue said:
Basement_Modder said:
Argelfraster said:
PalmerTech said:

OMFGWTFROFLMFAOLOLPWNT

And, Argel, I seriously doubt your skillz. And, Palmertech, it's not worth all of the work for every game in your collection.

He at least got a N64 attached to a PSone screen and running on batteries. Those are skillz enough in my book.

Back