My Robot Character Design

Hey everyone! Well I am pretty new to the forums and hope to make a N64P someday soon, but for now all I have time for is school so I thought I would post my projects periodically for all to see! I am a 3D animation major and am taking an Advanced Animation Techniques/ Character Animation course right now and our assignment this week was to create blueprints of our own unique robotic character. Eventually I will have to 3D model, rig, and animate him, but for now I will show you my design!

robotBlueprintCopyright.jpg

I designed him to have a strong silhouette (that is what makes a character most recognizable), as well as the rigging I will have to do. But overall I really like what I came up with and I think he will be fun to animate! :D I don't have a name for him yet, so any suggestions and constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!

I'm a third year animation student at CSU Wagga Wagga, Australia.

I like your design, I'll give you once piece of advice though; pop those shoulders further out from the body. you will have a momentous pain making sure there is no clipping and it will limit the movement options when you have to animate. a good position for the shoulders can be figured out by aiming the entire limb straight down and pulling it out till it no longer clips the body.

Also it is usually a good idea to ensure all bipedal characters can pat the top of their own head. This is a guideline you can ignore, but unless you specifically need that to suit your style, the flexibility it affords makes animating enjoyable, rather than fighting against the rig every step of the way.

You clearly have a lot of talent, so I hope to see more from you.

Thank you Diminuendo!

That means a lot, especially coming from another animation student. And I appreciate the feedback! I will most definitely end up moving the shoulders a bit in order to be able to make animating his movements unproblematic. I will keep posting what I complete, and hopefully by the end of the semester I will have completed my animated short as well as another project I have been working on.

Back