My New Screen

SonyQrio

Frequent Poster
I recently read (after buying it) that my screen's video resolution is 960x468. I am worried! Can the N64 put out a resolution that high to match my screen?!

Screen resolution DOES NOT MATTER FOR ANALOG SIGNALS! I've said it before and I'm tired of saying it. The video is rendered at whatever resolution (320x240 or 640x480 for N64) and converted to an analog signal of 480 lines for NTSC or 525 lines for PAL. Then the screen (controller chip actually) takes that analog signal and drives the LCD screen.

It's probably really 320x(RGB)x468 and not true 960x468.

I heard the expansion pack and or the jumper pack change the resolution... I have the jumper pack now. Will I have to get an expansion pack?

SonyQrio said:
I heard the expansion pack and or the jumper pack change the resolution... I have the jumper pack now. Will I have to get an expansion pack?

Basement_Modder said:
Screen resolution DOES NOT MATTER FOR ANALOG SIGNALS!

Doesn't matter what the resolution of the screen you get is. As long as it accepts composite, it will work fine.

Ok, I'm getting really mad at screens. The first one I bought worked, but it had gray lines going across the top of the screen. My second one worked with my XBox 360 composite, but when I plugged it into my N64, it only scrolled black and gray lines. Now, its up to this one.

I literally just turned off my N64 and walked over to my computer. I was playing on the same screen you bought. Looks great. Just make sure you give it a good voltage. I just had it plugged into a 7.4v batteryspace smartcharger.

ToastBucket said:
SonyQrio said:

Basement_Modder said:
Screen resolution DOES NOT MATTER FOR ANALOG SIGNALS!

Doesn't matter what the resolution of the screen you get is. As long as it accepts composite, it will work fine.
XCVG said:
Screen resolution DOES NOT MATTER FOR ANALOG SIGNALS! I've said it before and I'm tired of saying it. The video is rendered at whatever resolution (320x240 or 640x480 for N64) and converted to an analog signal of 480 lines for NTSC or 525 lines for PAL. Then the screen (controller chip actually) takes that analog signal and drives the LCD screen.

It's probably really 320x(RGB)x468 and not true 960x468.
lol Toast, you mixed up XCVG and Basement_modder. I used to do the same thing when I didn't know who anyone was. :p

About the screen, you'll definitely be fine. Most China LCDs lie about their resolution anyways. As long as it takes composite, then you're gold.

Whoops, zet. I always get B_M and XCVG mixed up. I think it's because of their avatars, because I don't read names, I recognize people by their avatar. Reading takes too long :p

ToastBucket said:
Whoops, zet. I always get B_M and XCVG mixed up. I think it's because of their avatars, because I don't read names, I recognize people by their avatar. Reading takes too long :p
I do the same thing all the time. Everytime Xcvg makes a dick post I find myself about to give B_M flax for it.... :rofl:

And I can also confirm that that screen is not 960x468 and is 320x480. And looks great with Ps1, Ps2, Dreamcast and Genesis.

I literally read the whole page straight through just now and didn't notice the missed quote until just now when zet pointed it out. ::3:

Snipeye said:
Screen, use a regulator, bump it down to 7 or so.
True for a psone screen, but not for the 3.5's. They are spec'd for 12vdc, and work from ~20 to about ~3, as I recall. 9v will be no issue at all.

Yeah, they use a 5v regulator - at least I THOUGHT they did... - meaning you'd need at least 6.5 to allow for dropout voltage.

Snipeye said:
Yeah, they use a 5v regulator - at least I THOUGHT they did... - meaning you'd need at least 6.5 to allow for dropout voltage.
None of the 3.5 incher's I've bought have had 7805s. They can be run on really low voltages, but most of the time it depends on each individual LCD. It seems that the quality of exact 3.5 LCDs from Ebay might differ, since they all have different guts. But out of all the 3.5 inch screens that I've seen or owned, none have ever had a 5v regulator.

Back