My friend is ethier a genius or an idiot. I can't decide

superben51

okay so my friend ripped the charge port off of his phone and decided to jury rig something up to charge it. but with a different charger. here's a picture of his set up and a picture of him (Black) saying all the details. Explosion risk?
dylan2-1.jpg

dylan.jpg

MAKE HIM STOP! NOW!
Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion have this whole crazy charging cycle. That's why there are smart chargers to detect when they're full and to cycle up and down the voltage. If the voltage goes above or below a certain level, they explode. If they are charged too quickly or slowly, they explode. Basically, he needs a smart charger + protection circuit. Also, make him unplug the Dang thing. Like now. As in cut the wires to his house.

Oh then IDK, although I'd advise against it, as the protection circuit is likely in the phone.

superben51 said:
but he said that it was another phone charger.....
Phone charger is just a dumb power supply with the correct adapter on the end. Charging circuitry is inside the phone, with the protection circuitry being inside the battery. So he still has the protection circuit, but that doesn't mean it won't damage his battery, and it could cause it to catch fire still.
There are external battery chargers that he could use to charge the battery without fixing his phone or burning his house down.

Blackberry phones are notorious for having faulty charge ports. Blackberrys are outdated flax anyways.

What I told my mom in relation to upgrading her phone:
Blackberries are only useful if you're in a company that requires them, or want to look like you're in a company that requires them.

... but yeah... Let's all go and plug a 5v switching power supply into our 3.7V lithium cells. Great idea, there.

He's definitely a genius... If he's trying to burn down his house, and keep the insurance from covering it.

okay so last night some other idiot started saying "you don't need anything else that's what resistors and breakers are for" and then he proceeded to tell me that I should at least take 1/2 week of electronics before i start saying this kind of thing...... I shot him down so hard he went and deleted all his comments

I kind of want to do horribly unsafe things like that in a controlled situation, and whenever people question me I'll just say "TRUST ME, I'M AN ENGINEER."

Back