My First GameCube portable

murphofly

I guess before I get too carried away I should tell you all the inspiration.

A long time ago (possibly 6 years ago) my first GameCube's disk drive broke :cry: . Of course at the time my only option was get a new GameCube, but now I have decided to take a hand at making myself a portable GameCube using a Wiikey Fusion and SD Gecko. I personally see this as no harm done as I can't play it in its current state. So after about 6 months of research I am prepping myself to start!

So for now the only thing I can really say I have done is research but I plan to have the motherboard cut and the Wiikey Fusion installed within the next few months. I also just wanted to reserve myself a topic for when some actual progress is made and so I could discuss things with everyone being an absolute n00b at this and possibly talk to everyone about what I could do to make it better.

Inspired by:
Ashen and Tchay's wonderful portable's

I plan on doing the following:

Ashen's AlmostWTF/OMGWTF cut on the mono
Connecting a Wiikey Fusion and SD Gecko
Autoboot Swiss
Custom made case(?)
Using Original GameCube controller buttons, joysticks, etc...
5inch LCD

Wish me luck! Cheers! :tophat:

Sounds like a nice full-on portable.
What kind of method are you planning on using to wire the Wiikey? It's arguably the most difficult wiring you'll face, depending on how small you're going. It's good that you're tackling it right off the bat!

Blargaman91 said:
Sounds like a nice full-on portable.
What kind of method are you planning on using to wire the Wiikey? It's arguably the most difficult wiring you'll face, depending on how small you're going. It's good that you're tackling it right off the bat!

I plan on using this: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhdffc36-p-2476.html

The cut on the mobo isn't quite final I might cut less because I simply plan on having a large screen (possibly this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...T4582&ef_id=U86uYQAABBtkzOz7:20140722183305:s)

36 pin connector for a 32 pin cable?
im sure there are better options available....maybe if you look hard enough you will find custom made solutions specifically for GC FFC connectivity....

good luck if attempt to search alternatives for a custom adapter...

megalomaniac said:
36 pin connector for a 32 pin cable?
im sure there are better options available....maybe if you look hard enough you will find custom made solutions specifically for GC FFC connectivity....

good luck if attempt to search alternatives for a custom adapter...

thank you I'll keep looking then! if you have an example could you possibly link it to me?

You should check out badassconsoles.com the adapter boards there are spot on and exactly what your looking for in a 32 pin connector.

Back