My FC Twin made popp and stopped working

Kyo

I figured I'd test the device before taking it apart. Seeing as how I didn't really have US power plugs, I just used an adapter from my SNES. It didn't work on my TV, I just got a white distorted bar at the bottom of my screen for both 8 and 16 bit. Fair enough, I thought. Maybe it's my TV; which is kinda weird anyway. I had these screens from china anyway. My 8 bit led stopped working at this point but I didn't think much of it. I searched an AC adaptor for the chinascreen and left the console on, in 16 bit mode while hooking it up. Suddenly, BOOF!

smoke from the console. I guess this is my fault, but why? Overvolting? from the 9V adaptor? Is the polarity wrong? That'd be weird.

Incidentally, the guy only sent me one instead of two. I totally ordered 2 because I assumed I would break at least one. I put it in the hall to let it smoke a bit. I'll open it and see what exploded when it calmed down a bit. Or I could return it, but I don't really feel like shipping it to the US...

This is why the economy is going down the drain. Because I keep breaking things.

121141_ohkyo.jpg

oh kyo

The FcTwin has center tip negative. The Snes has center tip positive. IIRC

So yea, pop goes the cap.

Yeah, it is a cap. Good to know :p

I'll see if the boards still work. What's weird is that the LEDs were working

Yeah, don't ever shove random adaptors in, even if they *should* work. Anyway, I'd say you have a good chance of saving the system. You'll probably have to rebuild the power supply circuit, or at least replace most of its parts.

Meh, wasn't gonna use that anyway. Yeah I know, but my laziness sometimes wins over my common sense

Every time I see this thread I think it says poop instead of popp and I'm like "WTF? Your Yobo took a dump?"

Basement_Modder said:
Replace the blown (literally) cap and test it.
I'd rather not. There's dielectric grease everywhere, and that stuff conducts. I'll see what I can do with the FC Twin on the weekend, when I have time.

Honestly, for testing's sake, if your power source is stable, the cap likely isn't necessary, just a good idea.

I can't believe I haven't gotten around to doing anything with the Dang thing. I don't know if connecting power to it is such a good idea, seeing as how there's dielectric grease everywhere. I cleaned most of it, but that stuff is everywhere

Also, the seller totally ripped me off. What an asshole. Took 30 days to ship the thing out (he literally told me he had just sent it out 30 days after I bought it), when it finally arrived, he had only sent one and it was too late for me to file a paypal dispute . Then he didn't respond to my messages and just when I was about to leave him a negative rating I found I couldn't anymore. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing ebay. I wish people weren't such dishonest assholes.

It was like one of the two big guys selling these. Power seller. When I run amok, this will be in my goodbye letter.

Incidentally, I ordered something from a japanese person and they forgot a part of the order, what they did was immediatly ship it over + a little free gift and a note apologizing.

Then some time ago some german guy had sent me 2 of an item of which I ordered 3 and when I told him this he said that he was 100% sure he had sent 3 and that I was lying. This really just shows how european and american culture is different from asian culture. Or something. I read an article that said people immigrating to japan introduced whole new kinds of crimes to the island, which they were totally unprepared for. I find this both hilarious and sad at the same time. Us europeans, we go everywhere in the world and corrupt people (technically americans that are not native americans are also europeans)

Not sure what this still has to do with anything, but it's kinda like that time when edison screwed over tesla and said he just didn't understand american humor afterwards.

Kyo said:
Then some time ago some german guy had sent me 2 of an item of which I ordered 3 and when I told him this he said that he was 100% sure he had sent 3 and that I was lying. This really just shows how european and american culture is different from asian culture. Or something. I read an article that said people immigrating to japan introduced whole new kinds of crimes to the island, which they were totally unprepared for. I find this both hilarious and sad at the same time. Us europeans, we go everywhere in the world and corrupt people (technically americans that are not native americans are also europeans)

So Asian-Americans and African-Americans are European? You have an incredible racial superiority complex. :dahroll:

Back