Mooper's GCP

Small update:

I think I've got the paint to where it won't bug the flax out of me to look at.
It still needs a light sanding then clear coat. I'll be doing the clear tomorrow afternoon.
OV7n27Mh.jpg

3QiP9irh.jpg

After the clear, I'll wait a few days then use some polishing compound and try to get it to really shine.

I've also got my batteries wired up. One thing I considered a must for this portable, was simple charging. I didn't want to have to worry about multiple chargers or turning the system off and back on just to go from batteries to wall power. So I'm using a BQ24170 evaluation board. It takes care of the battery charging and power path management. When the batteries start to get low I can just plug it in.

0Cxlde7h.jpg

I still have to trim down the board a bit, and remove unnecessary bulk though.

Blargaman91 said:
Wow, that case looks incredible. The sanding is so smooth.
Thank-you :D
It really helps to spend time on every detail. ;)

Ampz said:
What's that yellow thing you soldered onto?
It's an xt60 connector. I have one on my custom regulators atm, because I was using an rc lipo battery for testing.

How'd you go about getting wires on the bare battery pad? I heard that's not good for them if you do it to a raw battery with no tabs

Fluxedo said:
How'd you go about getting wires on the bare battery pad? I heard that's not good for them if you do it to a raw battery with no tabs

I used flux, tinned the wire and the battery. Then just make sure your tip is tinned and good and hot. Don't lollygag, get in and out.

I'll have to try that. It'd be easier than making custom battery holders like a gameboy internally. I still might do that because I don't want to mess up and have to buy new ones.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I managed to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up the paint. Tried handling it too soon. But I've got it fixed and repainted. I actually fixed a few low spots on the back while I was at it. Now I'm waiting the full length of the cure time before adding the clear.

Then, something managed to get between the heat sink and motherboard, shorting something and causing a beautiful buzzing noise. That too was probably due to my own carelessness. Then I noticed my ffc cable was missing the plastic on the end. So I tried repairing it but just couldn't get it to stay snapped in.

So, I cut another board, and soldered the WKF directly to the filters.
e1TQbO7h.jpg

I relocated 2 caps so I could get the wkf as tight to the motherboard as possible. Then smothered it all in epoxy.
HsjYwioh.jpg

Also, trimmed my charge board somewhat, I'm sure it can be trimmed more, but it's small enough for me.
bbN1Yuwh.jpg

And I got my low battery circuit built and working.
DTWNZylh.jpg

I changed the design since and I made it smaller too, still waiting on the new board.

I shared the design on oshpark, here's the topic.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14366

I'm finally done with the paint, I think next time I'll try another brand. I've started to assemble the parts in the case. Here's some pictures

LR74TXgh.jpg

GSwsl7Rh.jpg

6mDJMdqh.jpg

So, there's my progress. Also painting sucks.

dark_samus said:
:eek: Do we have a new Ashen or something??? lol jk, but seriously SWEET work, I love the case, keep up the awesome work :mrgreen:

I've made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot along the way. There's a few things I'd go back and change, but It'll have to wait until the next one.

Since, my last post I've killed this mobo. Also messed up the WKF pretty good getting it off. I bought a few more GC's and have since got everything wired up. I decided with this latest board to use my megadrive v6 that I've had lying around for some time. Couldn't get the technique down before, but got it done pretty easily this try. I bought a few wasps too, I figured it'd be easier than fixing the WK. Should get them soon.

All that's left to do now is to plug in the wasp, mount the sd card slot in place, glue the nubs to the sliders, some final testing and then close it up. Hopefully if all goes well in the coming weeks, my next update will include a video of it all up and running.

Here's a teaser pic (and some accidental product placement). I just had the buttons held in place with tape at the time to give me an idea of the finished product.

wpKVWdtl.jpg

It looks like they're just two regular nubs and he painted one yellow. That or the spongebob controller.

How would you attach one of those nubs to a slider, though? Epoxy it to the bottom half of an original slider cap? That's all I could think of.

Back