Mineral Oil 360

Zero

ModRetro Legend
Administrator
So, my friend offered to give me his broken 360 for free. It currently has the RROD but I should be able to fix that. Its also missing half the case and the fans, so rather than taking the boring way out and buying a replacement case and new fans, would it be possible to put the 360 in one of those mineral oil pc cases that look like an aquarium? I'm assuming I'd need a pump to keep it cool, but any advice is appreciated.

.. What? If they're submerged, all a fan will do is stir the oil around and look cool.

All you need is to keep the hard drive/optical drives out of the mineral oil. You could buy a waterproof HDD, though.

Keeping the water circulating with a pump will help with getting rid of heat. Pretty sure they make heatsinks that you can run piping through, too.

yeah, keep the drives out.

Fans would move the water. Just like air, it doesn't move on its own. That's why water cooling setups have pumps.

nevermind1534 said:
yeah, keep the drives out.

Fans would move the water. Just like air, it doesn't move on its own. That's why water cooling setups have pumps.
Fans move the oil slightly. Even then, where will it go? It's certainly not going to go through a heatsink without a pump.

A pump and heatsink are your best (if not only) options for circulating and cooling this setup. Adding fans would only waste power.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna go with the pump+heatsink, but I'm gonna need to scrape the cash together for everything first.

Back