Midas Gamecube Handheld

mida84

Newb
Hi everyone long time lurker first time poster. As I've stated I've been lurking around here for long enough and thought I would post. So here it is my first Gamecube handheld.

I wont go into much detail about it as it is currently being remodeled. Plans for the revision include cleaning up the case, adding batteries and removing unused ports. The case has already been cleaned up and old ports replaced with newer smaller versions. Wiring is also mostly complete. Will post the new and improved revision 2 soon. Cheers.

Amazing handheld!!!! :eek:

If you remove the ports and external video out, you gave space for good batteries.

My best wishes with your second project ;)

fantastic first post. You should create a thread for this in our Finished Projects section so more people can enjoy your work.

Beautiful! Even looks official!
Do those L/R buttons have the pot and button?

grossaffe said:
fantastic first post. You should create a thread for this in our Finished Projects section so more people can enjoy your work.
I second this. This is a great looking portable :awesome:

grossaffe said:

I went ahead and moved it to Finished Projects.

3 seconds in.....

THAT IS AMAZING CASE WORK. Last time I got this excited it was for the Grape64!!!!!

GREAT WORK.

So you found a 4.3" screen that supports progressive scan? Hmm, didn't know those existed.

I've never seen 60hz mode. How does that compare to progressive scan? Does 50/60hz only work on widescreen resolutions?

50hz is a pal thing. Some pal games support 60hz though. Most 3.5" & 4.3" switch automatically, which is a really nice feature if you're a pal person.

I just wrote up a nice guide on video stuff over on SSF, you should check it out.

Actually, in my experience, about 1 out of 3 ebay screens give black&white video when inputing PAL 60Hz, it seems that the ones with the blue pcb seem to always work fine though..

From GCForever:

mida84 said:
Now I was hoping to avoid the subject of the auto boot wiikey as it's a bit of a mystery to me how it happened. :confused: I'll explain how it came to be and hopefully it will be of some help. While building I had troubles with the momentary tact switch which runs pin 29 to ground. It would function alright for a few runs and then stop so I checked all the usual suspects and couldn't find a reason. The ground was being run to the ground point at the original power connector area of the motherboard at the point next to the 12v point. So eventually I concluded the ground point at this spot must be bad and removed it while the system was running (bad I know). As I removed it the wire flicked and for a very very short time contacted 12v. I spotted an arc go over the wiikey and thought all was going to be lost. Powered off and on again and the wiikey ran fine without pin 29 connected at all. So my configuration of the wiikey is pin 29 not connected at all and and all the other grounds from the wiikey running to ground point at which the video ground is also connected. All other connections have been checked and are normal. Can't recommend this to anyone but if ya have a spare wiikey your willing to fry you could try it :lol: . Sorry Ashen I wish i could have given ya a legit method but there ya have it.

Don't try this purposely, it didn't work for me. :/

Ashen said:
From GCForever:

mida84 said:
Now I was hoping to avoid the subject of the auto boot wiikey as it's a bit of a mystery to me how it happened. :confused: I'll explain how it came to be and hopefully it will be of some help. While building I had troubles with the momentary tact switch which runs pin 29 to ground. It would function alright for a few runs and then stop so I checked all the usual suspects and couldn't find a reason. The ground was being run to the ground point at the original power connector area of the motherboard at the point next to the 12v point. So eventually I concluded the ground point at this spot must be bad and removed it while the system was running (bad I know). As I removed it the wire flicked and for a very very short time contacted 12v. I spotted an arc go over the wiikey and thought all was going to be lost. Powered off and on again and the wiikey ran fine without pin 29 connected at all. So my configuration of the wiikey is pin 29 not connected at all and and all the other grounds from the wiikey running to ground point at which the video ground is also connected. All other connections have been checked and are normal. Can't recommend this to anyone but if ya have a spare wiikey your willing to fry you could try it :lol: . Sorry Ashen I wish i could have given ya a legit method but there ya have it.

Don't try this purposely, it didn't work for me. :/
Wait I remember this happening before. Is this the second case of accidental wiikey frying but actually removing the need of the button press?

Back