MichaelThurston's RCube, Portable Gamecube worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I am working out what kind of Heatsink will be going into this portable, I cannot use the original as the batteries will not fit with it.

I have the controller wired up and working, need to work on the case now, But I am currently on two commissions, balancing work and school.

The only days I have to work are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, sunday on off weeks.

But It is really going along nicely.

Theres nothing interesting to take a picture of, Besides, I'm no where near my workstation, And everything is in pieces anyways.

Pics tomorrow when I get the new heatsink in place, and the batteries.

Look in the Gamecube section, it has everything you need, just do a little looking.

I am completely Bogged down with so much work tonight, Plus I need to wait on a DD relocation guide. So for now I'll upload some pics of the Mobo in progress

2010-02-02182702.jpg

2010-02-02182644.jpg

2010-02-02182637.jpg

Lookin good man! FYI, I know you already got some pics but, go to BH forums and search for "techknott" and then find his abandoned GCP.

He has some great pics and tons of great ideas for making a small GCP.

Good luck man! After the DD relocation, things will get much better.

Well guys...

as you all whom have read the thread know, I was working on the DD relocation...

Well I have some news..I got off today, and took the time out to work on it..

finished, it, powered it on... :(

and It worked! :D

Pics below(and a video!):

2010-02-03130107.jpg

2010-02-03130114.jpg

2010-02-03130130.jpg

Feels good when you're able to successfully complete a difficult mod on a last-gen console, huh? I laughed like a maniac when I finished mine up.

mako321 said:
metroid??? METROIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's awesome! you're fast at soldering. what iron do you use, because mine is so big that if I heat up 1 connection, it'll touch another few and they'll all come loose :gonk:

It's not the iron as much as it is the tip. I used a one of the grounded tip ones from radioshack, and they worked fine. The easiest way it to tin the soldering pads, then tin the wire. Put the wire onto the soldering pad you want to connect it to, and touch the iron to the connection for just a moment. (Only long enough for the solder to melt.)

Basically, tin both items you want to solder together, then touch the two tinned objects with the iron. If you're soldering to a bunch of soldering pads that are near each other, then tin all the motherboard pads before you start connecting wires. At least, that's what worked for me. Also, try to use solid IDE cable, if you can. They're very thin, good wires and are much more organized than 32 stray wires.

Exactly as Zeturi said, I dont have a thin tip, Its all in the way you go about it. Just take your time and make sure to tin your pad/wires well, Thats where a lot of people go wrong.

And if you want to make sure you don't touch close pads or legs on an IC, stick a razor blade between them :)

zeturi said:
It's not the iron as much as it is the tip. I used a one of the grounded tip ones from radioshack, and they worked fine. The easiest way it to tin the soldering pads, then tin the wire. Put the wire onto the soldering pad you want to connect it to, and touch the iron to the connection for just a moment. (Only long enough for the solder to melt.)

Basically, tin both items you want to solder together, then touch the two tinned objects with the iron. If you're soldering to a bunch of soldering pads that are near each other, then tin all the motherboard pads before you start connecting wires. At least, that's what worked for me. Also, try to use solid IDE cable, if you can. They're very thin, good wires and are much more organized than 32 stray wires.

what this guy said. This is EXACTLY how you survive a DD relocation :)

bravo Zeturi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back