Michaelthurston's Backlit Gameboy Pocket!

Thursty

SS's Preferred Refreshment
Hey guys, this is something a did on a whim.

When I was in Austin a couple weeks back, I found myself a Nice Clear Gameboy Pocket, for only $10!

This is my first Gameboy Pocket, it was in great condition, had batt cover, etc.

I've been glued to it ever since, and recently I attempted a Repair on a friend of mine's DS lite. She hadn't told me she dropped it in water until I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Well I couldnt fix it but she let me have it for free, with 2 good screens!

I promptly took the top screens backlight for my own Naughty Wishes. :lol:

Here is the child I created. :D Not bad for my First Backlight job if I do say so myself.
This is how I felt when I turned it on and it worked.

2010-03-09165203.jpg

2010-03-09165208.jpg

2010-03-09165221.jpg

2010-03-09165856.jpg

2010-03-09165903.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Awesome for a first backlight, not that I'm an expert or anything.

At least the broken DS was able to contribute to one last project before his final demise.

:awesome:

If there's one problem, it's that it's TOO bright! But other than that, it's nearly perfect!

It does seem abnormally bright. Did you use a resistor? Anyway, gameboy mods get me feeling like
2efqiv4.jpg

Nice job. :)
If I'm posting too many .gifs, someone just tell me and I'll cut back. :p

Jewjo said:
I likes them. They make you seem more human than the rest of us.

EDIT: I likes the mod Michael. I just didn't wanna say anything 'cause I'm waiting for more cube action. :p

I'm going to desolder one of the LEDs from the Strip It is absurdly bright, pics in a bit

lol i bet u have a texas accent...

is it just your camera that the contrast is all wonky?

interested in whether or not a dark spot shows up if you remove an led

Well It was a folded over LED, so there were two in one spot.

But It doesn't even matter anyways. The LCD cable got *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up and now it doesnt show anything at all

It just goes to show why you shouldn't *Can'tSayThisOnTV* with something that doesnt need to be *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed with. Dangit...This flax always happens.. :cry:

D: I broke the same thing on my first pocket backlight, except the little decoder chip in the ribbon cable probably snapped instead of the actual ribbon cable...

Don't worry thursty, I *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up the ribbon cable on my pocket when i was making my tutorial and now theres an X in the middle of the screen. I need a new lcd also. :/

Thanks Nobble, it makes me feel better that I'm not alone in this Weak LCD bullflax.

It's not too bright, rather, it's stealing too much power from the LCD. A resistor would have made the contrast better.

Bibin I used as close to the proper resistor as I could find, I believe it was either 4.7k ohms or 5.4k ohms

Jewjo said:
It does seem abnormally bright. Did you use a resistor? Anyway, gameboy mods get me feeling like
2efqiv4.jpg

Nice job. :)

OMG ITS CHUCK

I love that show.

Back