michael_0u812's PS3 Laptop Worklog!

I always try to engage them in conversation about electronics, acting like a total dumbass, then start talking about stuff they don't understand.

They tend to shut up after that.

i had dude at radioshack attempt to convince me that i couldnt use a 7805 and should just buy a usb-wall adapter instead. retards. hence why i buy almost all of my electronics online. its really nice living like 15 miles from sparkfun. :awesome:

so michael, got cooling worked out yet?

I'm sticking with stock cooling. The PS3's cooler is only 30mm tall, which is pretty short. I don't have room for water cooling and I can't afford to build my own radiator. I might swap out the fan for a lower profile 140mm fan if I can find a good one. That could make the cooler almost 1cm (0.4") shorter. Other than that, I'm just planning out where to put some case fans. Here is a diagram of under the motherboard:

I'm not sure if I should make the case fans pull air in or push out, or both

theres some nice little 12v fans in dreamcasts that would fit there. i might have a few i could send you.

samjc3 said:
theres some nice little 12v fans in dreamcasts that would fit there. i might have a few i could send you.

I have some old CPU fans from Pentium 3 computers. They are pretty small so I will try them. If they don't work I'll definitely hit you up!

How's this for a power connector? :lol:

Nice work, man! I'm totally putting this on my Portables/Laptops to buy list.

Haha nice man. After I finish this I'd like to see if someone wants to commission me for a laptop. I could build one for the price of all the parts plus like $250.

Hmm, so I know which pins on the HDMI cable correspond to the DVI pins but I don't know which wires correspond to the pins. I can't find any information on the actual color coding. I guess people don't often cut up HDMI cable.

Time to multimeter everything...

EDIT: Screw it, I'm just gonna shorten the HDMI cable and keep my HDMI/DVI adapter hooked up.

It does only have 256mb of ram but I stripped down YDL a bit so it is really efficient. It's faster than most computers that run Vista ;)

I'd love to ditch the 5400rpm laptop hard drive and get an ssd. It doesn't really make a difference in the GameOS but it would sure help linux.

Haha I don't even have that! I'm fresh out of my first year at University and I'm already in substantial debt. Good price though

Back