MGB Backlighting Problems (Screen)

So I received my V3 Backlight today. I began the process and everything was going well up until the actual backlight install. Soldering went fine, I closed the case and the backlight worked, but my screen consists of vertical bars that I can't see past. However, sound still plays, and I can play the game (without seeing it), and I can still control the contrast, which basically just makes the lines darker or lighter.

Any idea of how to fix this? Or did I bust my screen? (my guess is this)

There's a black bar on the left side of the screen too

Picture:

photo.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the cable on the bottom of the LCD got separated too much. If you're feeling confident you can try to re-solder it, but it's very easy to over-do it and have it dissolve before your eyes, so be careful.

Bibin said:
Sounds like the cable on the bottom of the LCD got separated too much. If you're feeling confident you can try to re-solder it, but it's very easy to over-do it and have it dissolve before your eyes, so be careful.

Thank you for the quick reply. I think I'll take the chance and try re-soldering it. This might sound like a silly question, but do I solder directly to the metal connectors? or do I solder the ribbon cable itself together? What'd be the best way to go about it?

I finally got a new LCD and my MGB is backlit with the V3 backlight, but I have a couple issues.

There's a black bar on the left side of my screen not being lit by the LEDs (the black strip is on the backlight), and the top and bottom of my screen are cut off. Is there anything I can do to fix these?

photo_1.jpg

Maybe the polarized film isn't big enough, which would explain why the edges of my screen are cut off?

It looks like you have aligned the wrong side of the backlight to the screen - are the wires coming out of the right hand side of the backlight when you have the gameboy opened up and are looking at it front behind the screen? If you are looking at the front of the screen it would be the lefthand side.

There is a bar (which contains the LEDs), extending ~2.5 to 3mm from the edge of the backlight where the wires exit. This strip does not light up. You need to shift the backlight until the edge without wires is flush/aligned with the LCD screen, then the black strip will not be visible and yr whole screen illuminated!

edit: the polarizing film should not cover this strip, instead it should be flush with the edge of the backlight opposite the wires.

Looks great though otherwise!

Back