MDF Nintendo 64 & Sega Genesis

Bibin

Frequent Poster
So, Beta and I had an un-shelled n64 and Sega Genesis. I thought, "Why not add VGA to both consoles and house them in unholy MDF-based cases?"

IGNORE.

sega.JPG

n64.JPG

βeta said:
We only put it on because lag was happening.

^This

You should see our "heatsinks". Tiny little copper heat sinks attached with only hot glue to the CPU and RCP, and the RAM has no heat sink.

Bibin said:
βeta said:
We only put it on because lag was happening.

^This

You should see our "heatsinks". Tiny little copper heat sinks attached with only hot glue to the CPU and RCP, and the RAM has no heat sink.

And here I thought you improved the N64.

SS

It has VGA! Also, it's RIDICULOUSLY stable.
You can pick it up by the cart and shake it around while it's playing, with no crashing. It's crazy.

I'll admit, having VGA is it's only redeeming quality, but Bibin adds VGA to everything, his VGA ports have their own little VGA ports, and those VGA ports begat more VGA ports!

Also, that just means the cart slot isn't dirty and is as tight as a 12 year old's toes.

SS

Is it just a built in Composite/S-Video -> VGA converter? If so, which one? I've got one right now but it was cheap and isn't so good.

Just curious, is this actual VGA, or are you just using a VGA port to carry other signals? It'd be awesome if you somehow got v-sync and h-sync out of these, but I know that's a longshot.

Zero said:
Just curious, is this actual VGA, or are you just using a VGA port to carry other signals? It'd be awesome if you somehow got v-sync and h-sync out of these, but I know that's a longshot.

It is for reals VGA. Bibin can tell you how that works.

βeta said:
It has VGA! Also, it's RIDICULOUSLY stable.
You can pick it up by the cart and shake it around while it's playing, with no crashing. It's crazy.

Except for that one time.

But still, huge improvement over the "actual fan pointed at the board and oh crap I pulled it a little and everything's locked up" we had before.

It's "real" VGA. That is, it's not just some flaxty converter or something. What it is is the straight RGB coming from the systems pushed through the VGA pinout. It uses composite sync, but both my VGA projector and spare 19" LCD monitor accept 15khz composite sync through the H-sync pin.

Back