Max Input Voltage for Wii

kyal16

Hey guys, another Wii question...
What is this highest voltage that the Wii can take? I swapped a newer board into my laptop project (confirmed working before I desoldered the ports) and the LED will not turn on. I haven't trimmed it at all and it doesn't look like anything is shorted. However, The remote sync button came loose and a one of the solder contacts came off. I'm thinking my input may be too high...
Thanks!

Ive had a wii run on 20+ volts and it operate just fine. It gets regulated to 12v before being regulated to each independent voltage line. I bet you have a short. When you plug it in does the power LED come on?

No it does not. I've measured 16v past the very first regulator but none after that. Here are some photos...
w0L3fxd
Q0wotZx
GNzFDcs
Sorry they do not look that great, I had to take them with my phone. Let me know if they show up or not

No it does not. I've measured 16v past the very first regulator but none after that. Here are some photos...
w0L3fxd.jpg
Q0wotZx.jpg
GNzFDcs.jpg
Sorry they do not look that great, I had to take them with my phone. Let me know if they show up or not

Add .jpg to the end of your imgur links to make them pictures.

When you see your picture on Imgur, click on "BBCode" and copy and paste the link into the post, like so:

0D2dDeD.jpg

Apply power to the console, and measure voltage from the red dots to ground. You should read pretty much the same voltage in you are applying to the voltage port. If you don't, you may have a blown fuse, which is that white rectangle next to power in.

If that isn't the issue, apply power to power in and measure voltage of any of the blue dots to ground. If you aren't reading about 12v, you have a problem.

The nice 14 pin chip to the right of the dots is a comparitor. If it noticed any voltage anomolies, it shuts off the 8 pin transistor between the 2 dots. That transistor is the switching part of the switching regulator that regulates 12v, thus cutting power to it means cutting power to all other voltage lines.

I think your problem is you have a short. Is that case metal? Is there insulation between the board and the case?

If that isn't the cause of the short, test continuity between all the voltage lines and gnd. If you don't find anything, check the voltage lines against each other for shorts.

Back