MadebyBacteria Forum Delete?

PalmerTech said:
SteamDNT said:
Yet nobody complained when I let steamdnt.com expire. Now when I let Laingsoft go unpaid I get a few hundred angry E-mails from various Indian guys.

RUUUUUUUUUUDE.

Also, you can't really say MR has much longer. One of these days Palmer is going to forget to pay the bills, and the host is going to drop it. I doubt anyone that has access has been doing backups.

We are paid up for the next several years on autorenew, and I have access to backups!

As far as a revamp, it is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but I am too busy with other projects at the moment to do anything about it.
That's right. We'll revamp... tomorrow.

I posted in this thread before Palmer made it cool.
And, regarding a revamp, maybe the userbase could brainstorm/discuss/make headway/get hyped in Palmer's absence.

What would you guys like to see? I know the stickies are in shambles right now like Bush said, and that's something I think we'd be willing to take on people to help with, but what other ideas/suggestions do you have?

Perhaps instead of sticky-based libraries, we can transition to a MediaWiki or subforum. SSF had a good subforum-based system in which the report post button is used for submission from the general forums. The thread is moved by either general staff or designated moderators that have such rights, allowing for discussion and proper credit to the OP (looking at you, Bacterium).

I feel like a wiki would be the best way to go. Hosting the images on the site's server would be good too. Nothing worse than finding the perfect guide, but all the images are dead.

I think the main issue with the stickies is that the people with the power to edit them are too busy to catch important threads as they come or to sift through pages of old threads.

I propose that we create a wiki as prog suggested, but allow users to submit content to it. There is far too much info and not enough manpower for the mods to sticky everything. So why not allow general users to post to the stickies? Mods/user consensus could vote to remove or edit misinformation, add comments with suggestions, etc.

We need a portablilizng bible of sorts, but in order for that to happen I feel that users need to have that ability. It's easier for numerous people to post info they find it during their own research than for a limited group to occasionally add extremely popular threads. As I said before, there would be many ways to circumvent errors/griefing through a voting system, so I think the benefits really outweigh the risk of handing some power to the users. Maybe add a minimum # of posts to prevent hooligans.

Last time I suggested a new Wiki in AJAX (which should also return imo) it was shot down for being pointless or something.

I agree we need some sorting of all the info that exist today, like a wiki.

The problem today is that the stickies are not connected. While some things are console-specific many things can be applied more generally.

For example, info about 3ds sliders in portables. Where should it be posted and stickied? Insted of filing in console specific stickies, all guides/info could be given tags, and when searching for information you can include the tags and find the information easier.

All the data must be linked together, so it's easy to jump from one article to the next.

Prog: That's because it was you that suggested it.
Now that it's clearly Bush's idea, it's gold and someone should have thought of it sooner. Bush is genius for it!

I think a few have touched on some good ideas. I feel that ModRetro should do a reshuffle of the boards. Reorganize some of the topics and find a different way that they fit together.

A wiki sounds good but seems like it would be a big job. If ya need any volunteers let me know I have a few hours here and there.

None of this info on any sites should ever be removed from the net IMHO. It has lost enough has it is

Prog, I'm a global mod. I don't have any powers. We don't even have international subforums any more.

We had wikis way back in the day, so it's certainly not a new idea. I've been disgruntled about the stickies for a couple years now, so does it really matter who's idea it was?

I agree with you DuHasst. I also think it is important to centralize information that isn't even from here and make sure that it is backed up. What I am wondering is if there are any legal issues to using other people's information (like from Bacman cache) as long as it is properly sourced. A lot of people have disappeared and there's no real way to contact for their permission.

Bush, that's very true I'm sure if it's sourced properly it shouldn't be an issue. Main thing people worry about is getting credit, but some would rather not their work recited. I also feel that if they had a problem with it they would request it to be removed or flagged for plagiarism. Also, I don't see why there couldn't be a disclaimer written. Not sure how that would all go but I'm sure it could be done.

Maybe it was bud then. This was a while ago and I know a lot happened since.
Anyway, why not include a disclaimer along the lines of "This guide was originally written by [gaben] for the [silk road] forums. It was recovered from the [Wayback archive/Google cache] on [2 June 2009] for the purposes of informational preservation. The author has not given express consent to use this guide on this Wiki but could not be reached. If you are the original author and wish to remove this information, screw off you selfish tw contact us at [imperial_acquisitions@facebook.com].

Fun Fact: nobody is using that username on facebook yet. If you haven't chosen one yet, you should make that yours.

Just an aside here on the stickies...

A while back the mods came to a quasi agreement that the sticky situation was getting to the point where adding every single new project that came along was getting tedious, and was pointless in the end from the education angle. The decision was made to only add things to the sticky if there was something truly new that the project brought.

Once upon a time I was in charge of the stickies, but obviously that has had to fall by the wayside as my personal life has gotten way more complicated than it used to be, and I get ~an hour per week worth of PC time if I'm lucky. Tonight's a rare night.

I think centralized information is great, there is no "legalities" regarding content generated from users on other sites, just "'nicites." Credit those who created it, and unless someone's all butthurt about their content being on another site, I don't think anyone is ever going to care. Problem being, of course, we need someone to do all of this, and quite frankly, the "tenured" members of this site have become involved in bigger and better things (or in my case just other things,) and we need some new blood to take some things over.

Just my 2 cents.

Back