Looking for front intake fans

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Recently, the two Coolermaster R4 fans I had as intakes in my main PC (Antec 300) died. I got a pair of Bitfenix Spectre Pros as replacements, since the one in webPC was so nice, but so far they seem to be, well, quite flax. It seems to me they don't have the static pressure to push air past the hard drives.

So now I'm looking for new ones. Cheap is good, blue LEDs are good, quality is a must. Must have decent airflow and pressure.

On a related note, how reliable are closed-loop watercoolers? I've heard conflicting reports.

arena slicer said:
Looking for something like this? > http://amzn.to/164caL5
Might be to small but just a suggestion.

P.S might help if you say what size your looking for, etc

Those are the ones I had. They performed well, but they were pieces of junk. Constant rattling and grinding noises, and then one seized up and the other had shot bearings after about a year and a half of service.

AbyssPWNS said:
Just get some Noctuas. [/shilling]

But they're ugly. And expensive. The former is a factor but not a deal breaker, the latter is pretty much a deal breaker. I only have so much money to blow.

XCVG said:
But they're ugly. And expensive. The former is a factor but not a deal breaker, the latter is pretty much a deal breaker. I only have so much money to blow.
I could not disagree more. I personally find flashy fans with LEDs ugly. As for the price thing, that's fair enough. Perhaps look into NZXT or Fractal.

I've been looking at Corsair SP120s, but they're not cheap either :( Also, I like my blue LEDs. I don't need them, but I'd rather have plain black or clear fans than Noctua's colour scheme, which is best described as 'puke'.

XCVG said:
I've been looking at Corsair SP120s, but they're not cheap either :( Also, I like my blue LEDs. I don't need them, but I'd rather have plain black or clear fans than Noctua's colour scheme, which is best described as 'puke'.
SP120s are for high static pressure, not high airflow. They're only for rads.

Mako321 said:
XCVG said:

Need high static pressure to push air past the drives. My current fans have plenty of airflow, but when they're installed in my case against the hard drives, practically nothing gets through.

Completely unscientific proof: My old Coolermaster R4s were rated for 2.something mm of static pressure. My new Bitfenix Spectre Pros are rated for 1.something. The old fans pushed more air through the drive cage.

XCVG said:
Mako321 said:
XCVG said:

Need high static pressure to push air past the drives. My current fans have plenty of airflow, but when they're installed in my case against the hard drives, practically nothing gets through.

Completely unscientific proof: My old Coolermaster R4s were rated for 2.something mm of static pressure. My new Bitfenix Spectre Pros are rated for 1.something. The old fans pushed more air through the drive cage.
People also don't like Corsair fans in general, considering the money you should just get the Noctuas. (SP120s are outshined by NF-F12s) Your case will be closed anyways, so the colours shouldn't really matter.

You can see it through the front mesh. In all honesty, I'm not sold on either the Corsairs or the Noctuas. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Coolermasters, but I really hate the grinding noises they make.

XCVG said:
You can see it through the front mesh. In all honesty, I'm not sold on either the Corsairs or the Noctuas. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Coolermasters, but I really hate the grinding noises they make.
Trust me, you won't see it. Pics related, put some A14 FLXs on today.
http://i.imgur.com/kpqJn3i.jpg Grill off
http://i.imgur.com/KyUOmd6.jpg Grill on
http://i.imgur.com/o3cfK04.jpg Top off
http://i.imgur.com/obzgHD0.jpg Top on (Side on too, you can't see them through the window)
It'll work well and you won't see it, trust me.

XCVG said:
They're still expensive though.
They're worth every penny, the build quality is just fantastic.
If you don't want to spend much, I can sell you the fans I just replaced, unused Fractal silent r2 140mms. If you're spending a decent amount on fans, might as well either go extremely cheap or go all out.

140mm fans are useless for me, the 300 only takes 120s. And true, these midrange fans really do suck. The old Coolermasters worked well when they worked. I'm looking at Noctuas again, but I think I'll wait for a sale.

I'm also considering buying a closed-loop watercooler, because I don't like idling at 40-50 degrees.

Re: Re: Looking for front intake fans

Mako321 said:
XCVG said:
This is coming from the same guy who initially told me not to waste money on Noctuas before he got those. I'd trust his opinion.

Re: Re: Looking for front intake fans

AbyssPWNS said:
Mako321 said:
XCVG said:
This is coming from the same guy who initially told me not to waste money on Noctuas before he got those. I'd trust his opinion.
This is before I got fed up with my vacuum known as H2O 920.

Back