Looking at Colleges, Seeking Input

Kinda off topic...

Does anyone have experience with the differences between a full blown engineer, technologist, and technician? From what I've read, it seems like a technologist position is something most of us would like. An engineer could do a technologist's or technician's job, but not necessarily the other way around, correct?

I finish my 6 years in the Army next summer and I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.

vskid3 said:
Does anyone have experience with the differences between a full blown engineer, technologist, and technician? From what I've read, it seems like a technologist position is something most of us would like. An engineer could do a technologist's or technician's job, but not necessarily the other way around, correct?

I only know from the computing science point of view, but for us the "technologists" literally suck. Ditto for the "Software engineers". For me it seemed like once I hit the level where I was comfortable with most modern computing ideas, I started seeing code written by undereducated plebs and wanting to cry.

From what I've had in career experience (In Canada, at least) is that nobody wants to hire recent/soon-to-be grads at all. I'm not just appealing to the super dank "lolno1hiresmillenials" meme, It is actually pretty apparent.

I would assme that being a full engineer is probably better for your career in the long run, and you probably learn quite a bit more than any technician position.

vskid3 said:
Kinda off topic...

I finish my 6 years in the Army next summer and I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.
Engineering is awesome and opens a lot of doors not just in terms of jobs, but in terms of projects you can take on for fun. Takes a lot of work, though. Gotta be good with the maths and preferably have a work ethic.

nice meme
mXbV0.jpg

still awaiting response from the ten other colleges to which I've applied

For the curious, I've also been accepted to RIT so I could also follow in Bibetaux's footsteps if I so pleased.
Still awaiting the results of eight other schools. U of Texas @ Austin denied me.

Prog said:
For the curious, I've also been accepted to RIT so I could also follow in Bibetaux's footsteps if I so pleased.
Still awaiting the results of eight other schools. U of Texas @ Austin denied me.
Daww, Austin rejected you? I could contributed to your delinquency.

Back