Looking at Colleges, Seeking Input

Prog

Not a Meme™
Staff member
Hello, ModRetro. I'm at that magical age where I need to drive myself insane applying for the privilege of prostituting my income to a "non-profit" institution for the next couple decades. Since most people here are either in college or graduated, I figured I'd ask some input from you.
I want to be an EE major and am considering:
-Worcester Poly
-Rensselaer
-Purdue
-U of IL (Urbana-Champaign)
-VA Tech
-GA Tech
Since I know that some of you (Herma) have attended these schools and others, I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight that would be valuable during the application and selection process?

I just started my freshman year at CNU for their 5-year masters program for Computer Science. I know it isn't your list, but the 5 year program is a nice alternative and if you like small schools, it's even better. It is a liberal arts school however, so I understand why you may not want to take a look at it. I can give more details, you'll just need to ask a question because I could cover a lot.

Crazy Inventor said:
I just started my freshman year at CNU for their 5-year masters program for Computer Science. I know it isn't your list, but the 5 year program is a nice alternative and if you like small schools, it's even better. It is a liberal arts school however, so I understand why you may not want to take a look at it. I can give more details, you'll just need to ask a question because I could cover a lot.
CNU as in Christopher Newport? I had a friend who was accepted there but then he stopped showing up to high school and had his acceptance withdrawn.

grossaffe said:
Crazy Inventor said:
CNU as in Christopher Newport? I had a friend who was accepted there but then he stopped showing up to high school and had his acceptance withdrawn.

Yeah, Christopher Newport. That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that.

Crazy Inventor said:
Yeah, Christopher Newport. That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that.
Don't fret. This was, like, 10 years ago (god Dang am I getting old). He's a productive member of society now.

I just started my freshman year at Wentworth institute of technology studying electrical engineering. It's a nice small school and you can graduate in four years but you have to take classes in the summer of junior and senior year too.

I thought about Wentworth too. I like Boston and my best friend is looking at Boston schools (not that that ends up mattering).

As for CNU, I think that I prefer big schools, but I'll look it up.

If you're looking at Virginia, you could always follow in ol' Groose's footsteps and check out George Mason. I studied CpE rather than EE, but CpE and EE were conjoined at the hip there. If you're interested in robotics, we've got a young professor (I think this is his fourth semester fresh off his PhD) who is an expert in Humanoid Robotics. I would not be the least bit surprised if GMU started to gain recognition a premier school in robotics because of him.

In his first year, the team he advised won the award for best senior design project for their humanoid robotic control interface (beating out the team that caught national attention for their acoustic fire-extinguisher). Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKHW9eXeQg

Have you thought about Georgia Tech? They have flexible learning options that work for you! :awesome:

I don't have any input here, but university sucks and I hate my life so I want everyone to know about things that I dislike because my ego.

ProgMetalMan said:

FWIW U of I is a party school. Probably not good parties mind you as y'know, it's still Illinois, but good enough for kids from the other surrounding colleges in the area to head that direction for the weekends.

wallydawg said:
ProgMetalMan said:

FWIW U of I is a party school. Probably not good parties mind you as y'know, it's still Illinois, but good enough for kids from the other surrounding colleges in the area to head that direction for the weekends.
Yeah, number 1 party school in the US to be exact. But yeah, I don't party that much 'cause my workload is too much. Unless you count spending about 30 solid hours in one building going between classes and working on projects/homework partying. Then I party pretty hard.

Hermaphroditus said:
wallydawg said:
ProgMetalMan said:

Yeah, number 1 party school in the US to be exact. But yeah, I don't party that much 'cause my workload is too much. Unless you count spending about 30 solid hours in one building going between classes and working on projects/homework partying. Then I party pretty hard.

They're so party that they have an on campus bowling alley in the basement of the cafeteria or something.

ttsgeb said:
Hermaphroditus said:
wallydawg said:
ProgMetalMan said:

They're so party that they have an on campus bowling alley in the basement of the cafeteria or something.

That is all I think about when I think of UofI... A god Dang Bowling alley.

hqdefault.jpg

Back