Legendary Xbox 360 Laptop!

Sonyportableizer

SKIP THE FIRST TWO PARTS IF YOU JUST WANT PICS

So my friend and I were fishing the other day, and I was bragging about my modding skills.
"your a gay nerd who doesnt talk to girls" he said
"Im not, and I do" I said
"You spend all you time in a creepy basement" He said
"I can build an effin xbox laptop in a day if I wanted, like ben" I said
He said if I could he'd buy me a PS3 with 2 games, but if I lost I had to give him Marshall's multari.

So it was agreed, if I had every single part I requested, and every tool I requested the bet would be on.
After a month of getting everything together we decided on today being the day to build.

So I do not drink redbull etc. So I was fueled on wawa meatball subs, and protein shakes.
--------------
Now to the build
I had perviously been working on an xbox laptop, but at the last step it failed and broke. So it wasnt my first attempt, which helped greately.
1. I started by taking apart the xbox, and screen. It took one hour 11 minutes
2. I then took apart the xboxs power supple and screens powersupply (It went dc-dc to the screen). This took 19 minutes because I forgot the xbox one had screws
3. I ripped apart the powersupply's cord connector and grafted them into one plug in cable (Somehing that astounded me for a long time, but a while Zenlock told me how to do it) 5 minutes
4. I turned on the console, and it worked
5. I took off the xbox aluminum heatsink. 5 minutes
6. I sawed off a fancy xbox heatsink and put it in place of the old one an hour
7. I turned the xbox on and it worked
8. I cut through the xbox powersupply connector and soldered wires to the pieces of metal on it (Because I cant solder to an xbox mobo) 40 minutes
9. soldered those wires to the xbox powersupply. 5 minutes
10. Tested it and it worked
11. I soldered the screens powersupply to its powerbrick. 1 minute
12. Tested it and it worked
13. I then started to cut away at the case he gave me
14. I cut a hole for the power and eject (I used a bi-saw 3 times in a row, then filed it just enough for it to all fit) 20 minutes
15. Tested it and it worked
16. I then used a smaller bisaw 8 times in a row for the dvd eject, and filed it flat. I was to lazy to measure it up so the hole was big. 30 minutes
17.I cut a big hole in the side with my bigger bi-saw for air flow. no screens or anything, just a hole :facepalm: 10 minutes
18. I cut a hole with another bi-saw for the usb and ethernet (Why relocate it?) 1 minute
19. I filed a hole for HDMI 40 minutes
20. I ate food for 23ish minutes as I watched southpark (Or how long the episode lasted)
21. I measured up the holes in the case, and wrote it up on a piece of lexan. 30 minutes
22. I cut that stupid lexan (With it melting back together many many times) 2 hours
Anyone know how to make it so this doesnt happen with my jigsaw?
23. I used my biggest hole saw and drilled holes for the fans, after i measured them into their spot. 1 hour
24. I cut into the lexan so it could close properly with the crazy lid assembly
25. I took another break to eat and watch futurama. 23ish minutes
26. I resoldered the xbox ring board. 1 hour
27. I resoldered the usb ports. 30 minutes
28. I resoldered the eject, power, sync. 1 hour
29. I wired them to their respective partners. 10 minutes
30. I finally tested it again, didnt work
31. Resoldered everything, luckily it worked after resoldering the powersupply. 1 hour
32. put the dvd rive in, added screw holes in base, attached it in, and superguled tinsnipped door to front. 1 hour
33. Did the same with the motherboard. 1.5 hours
34. Tested it all, and it worked
35. Rewired AV connect, to cable, to IDE cable to screen twice (I used two ide cables twice the wiring, yay) 1 hour
36. Superglued the screen in, without hooking up spreakers 10 minutes
37. Installed my awesome fans. 2 minutes
38. put lid ontop, put aluminum ontop, ran out of supergule and taped part on. 10 minutes (I didnt paint because it would dry after the 24 hour limit)
39. Tested it and it worked, yay

I think thats everything, the time shouldnt add up, because I guessed the time by the songs I listened to (Dead rising outside song, will smith songs and random others)
Anyway I ended up finishing with 2 hours to spare. I didnt take many pics cause of the time crunch, and my laziness. I will have a video soon, and more pics.
If you work with the tv on, stop. I go easily 30X faster without it distracting me. (Like it takes a whole episode of berniemac to solder a switch, now it takes like a minute)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The front

Top Down

Front view

Ghetto AV mod

Redone USB

Redone Light Board

Too Lazy to secure it, so taped to not short

Most all soldering done

My quick mockup to see if it would fit

The Back

Tin snip DVD drive :mrgreen:

USB, ENET, and HDMI

Big Air Hole

The ONE plug the system has!

Ill add more tomorrow, but im busted. I think it looks like crap, but I did it in like 22 hours so who cares?
If many people ask I will do an indepth tutorial like this one http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31736&p=376034#p376034 which was never stickied...
it works, actually stays cool barely, is durableish, not that loud and is good in every way except looks and sound. I think ill see if my friend is honest

Re: Legendary Xbox Laptop!

A day's worth of sex can get lifetime of baby.

I hope somebody understood that.

mako321 said:
A day's worth of sex can get lifetime of baby.
i understood that. and it scares me if anyone didnt.

great laptop! sexier than anything i could do in 22 hours! :awesome:

When I saw this I was like "YES XBOX LAPTOP" but then I found out it was a 360 and I was disappoint. But then I read you did it in a day and I was "HOLY flax AWESOME".

XCVG said:
When I saw this I was like "YES XBOX LAPTOP" but then I found out it was a 360 and I was disappoint.

Same.

NEW RULE: IF IT'S AN XBOX 360, PLEASE SPECIFY THAT IT'S A 360. AROUND HERE WE ALL ASSUME THAT XBOX = XBOX, NOT XBOX 360. THIS IS TO AVOID FUTURE CONFUSION.

XCVG said:
But then I read you did it in a day and I was "HOLY flax AWESOME".

Same.

Enjoy your PS3! :awesomeTW:

Exactly why I dislike it when people call it just Xbox. They are NOT the same thing, so why not just tack on those three extra numbers, or just use those numbers by themselves?

Seriously, now, nobody calls the PS2 or PS3 the PlayStation. >_>

Twilight Wolf said:
XCVG said:
When I saw this I was like "YES XBOX LAPTOP" but then I found out it was a 360 and I was disappoint.

Same.

NEW RULE: IF IT'S AN XBOX 360, PLEASE SPECIFY THAT IT'S A 360. AROUND HERE WE ALL ASSUME THAT XBOX = XBOX, NOT XBOX 360. THIS IS TO AVOID FUTURE CONFUSION.

XCVG said:
But then I read you did it in a day and I was "HOLY flax AWESOME".

Same.

Enjoy your PS3! :awesomeTW:

THIS

Back