Leet64 - XCVG's Second N64 Portable

No progress, but I am going to the thrift store today, probably won't find an N64 though. I considered using the -08, but I have to concentrate on my halloween project. Should I start a worklog for that?

Well, I found an N64 but it was $30 so I didn't buy it. The halloween project will include a fog chiller and automation for the fog machine, some lights, motion sensors, and I think I'll put a speaker out there too. It'll all be controller by an Arduino and a computer. I'm going to give it at least one automated mode and the ability to type in commands and turn stuff on and off.

super-cool-story-bro.png

Ordered squishy tacts. Was going to order screen and heatsink from DX, but the ultra-thin heatsinks I wanted are backordered. If I wait will they get them back in? If they don't, I'm considering ramsinks or a copper sheet.

Hopefully I'll actually start this project soon. But shipping from Hong Kong takes FOREVER, so don't bet on it.

Made some ghetto heatsinks.

260a8bd.jpg

These are the stock blocks from an N64 (the slimmer ones on the RCP and CPU) that I modified using a Dremel and a cutoff wheel. I went through three. Genuine Dremel ones seem to last longer than generic ones. No idea how well these will work or how to hold them on. They are nice and slim though.

It's not like the N64 gets that hot. I've heard of people running them for hours with no heatsinks at all. On the other hand, I've heard people needing quite a bit of heatsinking. I wonder if it's revision related, just random, or because of testing methodology.

I think the people that heatsink the Heck out of it *coughbacteriacough* spread it to noobs that you need a lot of heatsinks, so they tell other people that. Then, when they're not noobs anymore, they swear by it and people believe them, thus spreading the lies.

It depends how close your heatsink is to all your hot glue. If the portable is very enclosed and there's no ventilation it's going to heat up on the inside and melt off any heatsinks using hotglue to hold them down.

Ordered screen. Decided to get one off eBay because I've heard horrible things about DX. I'll get the other things I was going to buy elsewhere as well. I think there's a dollar store here that sells 3D glasses, I'll buy the Shinobii opening kit, and do without thermal adhesive.

A word of warning- If you got the #2 with the brightness contrast and saturation controls, be careful because on a few of them the backlight will not turn on.

The ones without the controls work flawlessly though.

Back