Laptop won't charge *FIXED*

J.D

No Stranger To Love
Hey guys, before I extract all the data from my hard drive, I'm coming to you guys for advice on what to do about my laptop.

My laptop won't charge. It will charge if I force the plug in the port and hold it there, but there's still something wrong with it. I took out the battery, looked just fine. Does anyone know what may be wrong with it?

Specs on my laptop: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 0_div.HTML

Compaq_nc6220.jpg

Re: Laptop won't charge

Bad or worn jack? My dad has a laptop and the power connector is so finicky it's unusable.

You power jack has probably come loose from the board, and pressing hard allows it to make contact.

It will only get worse, I say you pull it apart and try to fix it, or sell it to someone who can.

Its just 2-3 solder blobs you need to make, in addition to some jb weld that I would recommend you use to hold it steady. :dah:

Basement_Modder said:
Its just 2-3 solder blobs you need to make, in addition to some jb weld that I would recommend you use to hold it steady. :dah:

No, do not use JB weld. It is at least somewhat conductive. Hot glue FTW!

Smart ads are smart.

Look at the ads this thread brought up:
n1qmap.png

meh, can get it done cheaper... :dah:

If the repair is as easy as it sounds, I could make some money :lol: . The local Geek squad charges $150 for an installation of Windows. I've been able to do that since I was 5 ::3:

HP laptops are notorious for faulty power jacks. There have been several lawsuits over it.

What happens is the jack actually overheats enough to melt the solder a bit and then when it cools it sometimes cracks.

I had 2 different HP's that I finally had to put external jacks on to stop this problem. Needless to say I buy Gateways now. LOL

J.D said:
If the repair is as easy as it sounds, I could make some money :lol: . The local Geek squad charges $150 for an installation of Windows. I've been able to do that since I was 5 ::3:

My cousin's fiance owns a computer repair shop. He doesn't do so well at soldering, so he contracts them out to me. Quick and easy.

Oh, the problem has been fixed for a while. I replaced the charging cable with another and it worked just fine.

Back