Krook3d14's N64 worklog

krook3d14

I started my n64p awhile ago during the summer as a redemption project for my previous n64 which was poorly made. I hadn't gotten around to posting my progress as i have been experiencing a bit of laziness. I finally got around to making this thread, enjoy.

here is my previous n64
tumblr_lsmf4zBWop1r34460o1_250.jpg

and the backside
tumblr_lsmf4zBWop1r34460o2_250.jpg

finished the wiring for the new project, thanks blue stalfo for the mobo, first successful cart relocation!
tumblr_lsmg2oWiaQ1r34460o3_250.jpg

The case, coping the QUAD 64/ shockslayer's 11th n64 look
tumblr_lsmg2oWiaQ1r34460o2_250.jpg

and the backside
tumblr_lsmg2oWiaQ1r34460o1_250.jpg

looking to finish a as soon as possible which should be soon seeing as how I only have to do case work and few other things to do.
I didnt feel like joining an image website so i just posted my pictures to my tumblr, theres more pictures there, heres the link http://rickdiculousness.tumblr.com/, will eventually join an easier website to use, but this works fine for now.

I love your first n64p. No joke, that thing is really special (in a good way). And best of luck on your new project.

It was a nice unique copy of hailraizers darth 64 but the case work, which I never even finished, was over the top and the battery life on it is awful. I also did a lot of things that most wouldn't do, but I learned and got much better from the experience.

I like it too and I don't know why... I think I just love every portable, especially shockslayer's first few...

That's what I currently have as my batteries but they don't fit in my case too well. That's why I wanted to switch to the individual cells. Should I stick with what I have and just make room?

Why don't you have room? I used those in the first throwback64. I had them end to end and placed them where the cartridge slot area used to be.

You must be leaving the entire heatsink assembly intact. Take off the top fin and screw the plate to the heatblocks.

I cut the original heatsink plate so it would lay flat with everything. Should I get rid of that and just have the metal blocks and screw the thin metal cover into them?

Not if you insulate them. I usually wrap my cells in electrical tape and put card stock between the heatsinks and the batteries.

Okay, Thanks so much for all your help Bud. Also, Would a heatsink 1in x 1in work? Do I need any thermal paste or should I just use some wires and glue to keep it down?

1x1 would be ideal. All you'd need to worry about is the height. I prefer some type of epoxy or glue to hold the actual heatsinks down, and you should always use thermal paste. Actually, the pads that came with the console are plenty to transfer the heat.

I think Ill stick with the original pads, Will just thermal paste keep the heatsinks on, or does the epoxy/glue do most of that? And if so does the type of thermal paste matter or will any kind do?
Once again I cannot stress just how nice it is to have someone who can help me out with any troubleshooting, the service you provide is really taken for granted by a lot of people who just see it as normal. For me to be able to get straight answers from you is awesome.

Thermal pads or the paste won't be able to hold the heatsinks on. You need to glue the heatsinks to the chips themselves, it doesn't need much, just enough to hold them on. I usually put a dab of epoxy on each corner of the chip (after I've applied a think layer of thermal paste) and then I hold the heatsink down until the epoxy starts to cure. You can do it however you want, but you need something to transfer the heat, and something to hold the heatsink down.

Would the original heatsink squares work well enough? I can't seem to find any copper heatsinks that are the right size.

Back