Items to avoid using, and alternative products.

Cropped list:

It would not be wise to use the following objects in modding:

Virtual Boy: There are so many reasons not to alter a Virtual Boy

PSone 5" LCD: These are incredibly common and loved, but there are very few left and they're all expensive. They should be kept to a modding minimum.
....................Alternatives: Zenith 5" Xbox/PS2 LCD (Same motherboard inside, you can even use the same modding diagrams)

Any Special-Edittion System/Controller/Whatever: Any system that has some sort of special case should not be used in a project of any kind, unless you make sure you replace the mobo. (For example, if the only N64 you can get at the time is a Hey, You! Pikachu! edition N64, then just get another N64 later and put that mobo in the Pikachu shell)
....................Alternatives: A normal version of the same system

Any Rare Item: Things like a QuikShot Joystick or one of those NES headset things, or even a Mega Memory Card should be avoided. They're rare and unless you can replace the mobo, just try not to use them. But things like Atari Jaguars should be avoided unless you really want to use them.
....................Alternatives: Varies

Low Supply Items, TRY NOT TO USE:

These are items where if you can, you shouldn't use, but it's not horrible if you do use them. They are somewhat rare but not terribly rare.

SNES Mini (Alternatives: Original SNES, RetroDuo, Gen X, Other SNES clone systems)
Genesis III (Alternatives: Genesis II, Genesis clone systems)

Even so, the list is still incredibly flawed. What about the N64DD, Gameboy Light, Turbo-Duo, Intellevision, PCFX, and the Atari 2600?

SEGA Nomad: There's really no reason to use the SEGA Nomad board as a small Genesis to hack. That's just dumb, it's already portable.
Does this list apply to modding or portabalizing? Hacking a Nomad is fine, portabalizing it would be dumb.

I'm not taking it off the list. I do agree that there are plenty around, but you need to read what I've already said. N64 is on the list solely because of the fact that at the rate it's going, it will be much more rare in a few years. There have been tons of N64ps in the last two years since it has become popular. I'm just saying that we should be aware and reconsider making a N64p when we want to, until a clone system comes out.
:facepalm:

Jidan said:
If you're talking about the A/V cable, that cord works on my Rev. A GCN and N64 :k

(if you're not, sorry ^^)

A component cable and a A/V cable are two different things. ;)

Can a mod/admin please revise the list to make it more accurate?Its good but slightly off and missing ALOT!

hailrazer said:
Jidan said:
If you're talking about the A/V cable, that cord works on my Rev. A GCN and N64 :k

(if you're not, sorry ^^)

A component cable and a A/V cable are two different things. ;)

Okay, sorry about that, heheh...

J.D.:

pLover said:
Anyone got anything to add to the list?

I'll go add those, now. And Apple Earbuds definitely don't have the best sound quality, they just match my overall headphone criteria the best. :p

banditpaw1 said:
Can a mod/admin please revise the list to make it more accurate?Its good but slightly off and missing ALOT!
This quote has also been pwnd by the above quote.

On the "Low supply items, try not to use", all of those items should be cut out except for the Genesis 3 and the SNES Mini. The "old consoles" remark should be cut out too.

Btw, Atari 2600's are ok for now. there are trillions. what about modding other color GBO's? its not to often you see a blue, green, yellow, or red DMG out there.

As long as you keep the special edition cases in good condition, why not? I tore apart my limited edition Mountain Dew xbox once, and put a working xbox in it's place.

Incredibly Old Gaming Units: ColecoVision, Pong, etc... Just don't use them.
....................Alternatives: None
Why not use them? The ColecoVision sold well over 2 million units. The Intellevision is just retarded. The Atari 3600 sold over 20 million units.

SEGA Nomad: There's really no reason to use the SEGA Nomad board as a small Genesis to hack. That's just dumb, it's already portable and there aren't really many hacks you can do.
There are many hacks you can do to it, as shown by Bibin.

Non-Dualshock Playstation controllers and SNES controllers are plentiful.

oh, how I remember the atari 3600. It was an amazing console for its time, much better than that apple ll and xbox 360 that were out, don't you think?

zeturi said:
As long as you keep the special edition cases in good condition, why not? I tore apart my limited edition Mountain Dew xbox once, and put a working xbox in it's place.

IF it doesnt work, looks fine to me.

mako321 said:
oh, how I remember the atari 3600. It was an amazing console for its time, much better than that apple ll and xbox 360 that were out, don't you think?

What....?

eew, what's that smell?

I Know! It's BS!

allow me to fix a few things.....

Endangered Species...es, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, NO MATTER WHAT THE PROJECT IS:

Top-Loading NES: They may be smaller than the original NES, but they're very rare and should be kept around
....................Alternatives: RetroDuo, NOAC, Original NES, NES Clone Systems

Virtual Boy: The only thing you can really do is get a virtualboy flash cart.
....................Alternatives: None

SEGA Nomad: The nomad houses a very tiny genesis board, so if you want to make a genesis portable, get one on ebay with a busted screen.
....................Alternatives: Sega Genesis, Gen X, other Genesis clone systems

GameBoy Micro: not rare or in great quantity either. It would be worth it to mod a GBA
....................Alternatives: GBASP, GBA

GameBoy Light: Pretty rare.
....................Alternatives: DMG, GBP

SuperJoy: These are everywhere in flea markets and thrift stores. They make very nice small portables with built in games.
....................Alternatives: Other NOACs, ACTUAL NES

Original SNES Controller: They may not be as common as the third party controllers anymore, but look around. You can usually very easily find a lot at thrift stores or secondhand game shops.
....................Alternatives: Clone SNES controllers, RetroDuo Controllers, Two 4021 ICs (Wire together to make a homemade controller, then vaccum-form a case. Or, if you're taking the controller apart, just wire the ICs together and add switches and resistors)

PS Controllers: These are pretty common on ebay and used game stores, but it would make more sense to use a dualshock.
....................Alternatives: Later PS controllers, Clone controllers

PSone 5" LCD: These are incredibly common and loved, but there are very few left and they're all expensive. They should be kept to a modding minimum.
....................Alternatives: Zenith 5" Xbox/PS2 LCD (Same motherboard inside, you can even use the same modding diagrams)

Any Special-Edition System/Controller/Whatever: Any system that has some sort of special case should not be used in a project of any kind, unless you make sure you replace the mobo. (For example, if the only N64 you can get at the time is a Hey, You! Pikachu! edition N64, then just get another N64 later and put that mobo in the Pikachu shell)
....................Alternatives: A normal version of the same system

Any Rare Item: Things like a QuikShot Joystick or one of those NES headset things, or even a Mega Memory Card should be avoided. They're rare and unless you can replace the mobo, just try not to use them. But things like Sega Saturns, or the Atari Jaguar, ColecoVision, etc. should be avoided unless you really want to use them.
....................Alternatives: Varies

Incredibly Old Gaming Units: They may take more power and need A/V mods done, but in the end it will be worth it, especially if you are a diehard fan of the system. Exemples of these would be pong systems, intellevision, colecovision, and the atari consoles.
....................Alternatives: atari flashback 2.0

Low Supply Items, TRY NOT TO USE:

Now that I fixed the upperhalf, I think it is tiem to make some adjustments to the next list.

These are items where if you can, you shouldn't use, but it's not horrible if you do use them. They are somewhat rare but not terribly rare.

hmm. I find that all the items originally on this list are not hard to find at all. especially the nes and atari. The only thing that is slightly hard to find is the snes mini, but it is more common than you think.

Does the Kibble board count when it is finished?

EDIT: Oops, I forgot I was on modretro, thought I was on benheck. For those here who are not on benheck or those who no longer go there, kibble is designing a better n64 board.

pLover said:
What did you change on the upper half?
Because you're wrong, or forgot details.

To be honest, someone with more knowledge on this subject should make a better guide then this. Half the flax on that list is incorrect.

Gameboy Lights aren't too rare. Every time I've checked for one on ebay, there was always one or two and they went for about $20-50. I got mine years ago though, so nowadays they might be more expensive (but not necessarily rare).

My 2 cents.

Back