It Starts.

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
femv.jpg

http://ttsgeb.net/ttsgeb/xboxscan/
I guess I should warn you that these images are all ~250mb and unless you have beastly internet like me, they will wreck your day.

This may be the push I need to found Southern New England Fiber Optics. Need some Dang capital.

It's a v1.6A xbox. This one is actually my first xbox. It died for reasons that I couldn't ever figure out, so I've donated its cadaver to science.

ProgMetalMan said:
This may be the push I need to found Southern New England Fiber Optics. Need some Dang capital.
Be jealous of my cheap fiber. Or move here. I'll let you live behind the dumpster.

ttsgeb said:
It's a v1.6A xbox. This one is actually my first xbox. It died for reasons that I couldn't ever figure out, so I've donated its cadaver to science.

ProgMetalMan said:
Be jealous of my cheap fiber. Or move here. I'll let you live behind the dumpster.
Actually I live in the most expensive area in the country. If my whole family moved there we'd be pretty comfortable.
And I am jealous, we're paying ~$140 a month for 12/1.5 + ~440 TV channels (where about 200 are HD)

ProgMetalMan said:
ttsgeb said:

ProgMetalMan said:
Actually I live in the most expensive area in the country. If my whole family moved there we'd be pretty comfortable.
And I am jealous, we're paying ~$140 a month for 12/1.5 + ~440 TV channels (where about 200 are HD)
Hate to break it to you but $140 is not a lot of money,
I pay $310 for internet and cable,
Housing might be a different story but your cable bill is a joke.

How is TV so expensive in America? In the UK, every channel available on Sky can be had for just over half the price you're paying Prog :eek: I could add unlimited fibre optic internet and still pay the same price as you do for just your cable. Saying that I don't even have an aerial hooked up to my TV, just my Ouya for watching Netflix and XBMC.

We pay ~$60 a month for 50/10 Xfinity and something like $90-110 for DirecTV with everything minus HBO and flax like that.

TimeTravel_0 said:
Hate to break it to you but $140 is not a lot of money,
I pay $310 for internet and cable,
Housing might be a different story but your cable bill is a joke.
Did something happen that made it better to pay more for something? I don't know about you, but I prefer paying less. I pay $63 for 20 down, 2 up (could be faster for not too much more, but this is fine) and $8 for Netflix. Paying to watch ads? lol

Geb, did you notice any obvious places that could be cut?

There are traces all around the perimeter of the board, so nothing obvious. I also still have a lot of sanding to do.

Also, I pay $59 for 100/100 Mb/s internet and for $12 more and a new router, I could have 1/1 Gbps so suck it everyone.

Metropolitan area; everything is expensive.
It is also the everything package.
DK  said:
How is TV so expensive in America? In the UK, every channel available on Sky can be had for just over half the price you're paying Prog :eek: I could add unlimited fibre optic internet and still pay the same price as you do for just your cable. Saying that I don't even have an aerial hooked up to my TV, just my Ouya for watching Netflix and XBMC.
Capitalism has run out of control here. Every market is a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up oligopoly. The only alternative in my area is the more expensive (and slightly more evil, depending on the person) XFinity.

EDIT: It would appear that the current bill is $128 per month. This is after my parents convinced ATT to waive $60.

ProgMetalMan said:
Capitalism has run out of control here.
I like how what you describe is caused by precisely the opposite of the cause you blame it on. If capitalism were truly allowed to exist, there would be more competition in the ISP arena, thus better pricing and options all around. As it stands, the existing situation is mostly thanks to the government, who, in their infinite wisdom has bogged down acquiring spectrum, laying wire, etc, with so much bureaucratic bullflax that it quite literally takes years and billions of dollars to start an ISP - *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, how long did it take Google to get Fiber going, in just one city in one state? Then figure that's one of the largest companies in the world, and they had the full support of the local government and it still took nigh 3 years.

As for me, my internet is flaxty 16.8/1.5 claimed speeds, 2.0/0.5 real speeds, but it's like $18 per month, and I have no limit that they've told me about yet (Current usage for this pay period is over 1.5TB, according to my router.) Other option in my area would be Comcast/Xfinity, but it would run me $70 per month, and I refuse to switch when Comcast has been expanding the range of their "bandwidth cap testing."

With regards to the proper topic, I, for one, think the scans are entirely too small in resolution, and request that Tim go forth and use his vast wealth to afford proper scans. How the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* are we supposed to see any traces like this?

Theres a somethingridiculousdpi scanner at the library, but I don't know how they'd feel about me sanding in there.

Well, I hit the dreaded "*Can'tSayThisOnTV* it" point and grabbed a power sander.
I've exposed the first layer, which appears to be a grounding layer in that it is almost solid copper... however there are a few spots where you can't tell what vias do and don't go to ground. Wouldn't be too big a deal, except most of them are under the gpu. Hopefully the via scans and other layers will give some clues.

I'll have the scan up in a few minutes.

I want an orbital scanner the size of a film cannister. It would make this so much easier.

Fluxedo said:
Imagine loading these pictures on 56k dial-up.
Eh, would take about an hour and a half, assuming a flawless connection. Course, dialup is always anything but flawless.

Back