Is this screen good?

This would be a great screen for your GameCube. Composite video should work fine but it might not be compatible with 15 khz VGA from the component cable, if you're gonna use that... I haven't bought that screen in particular so I can't say.

This is the screen I bought for my gamecube and it's a pretty good choice. 5" is a nice size and the controller board fits perfectly behind the LCD, unlike some other LCDs from that seller that are crooked and oddly positioned. For a composite signal it will work great, but if you're using VGA, I know for a fact that it is not compatible.

zack said:
This is the screen I bought for my gamecube and it's a pretty good choice. 5" is a nice size and the controller board fits perfectly behind the LCD, unlike some other LCDs from that seller that are crooked and oddly positioned. For a composite signal it will work great, but if you're using VGA, I know for a fact that it is not compatible.

Wait so your saying the VGA mod doesn't work with it? So if I just wire the screen straight through the component connector will the screen work fine? What portable did you use it on?

Ok, so the screen will work just fine with composite input. That means the yellow video wire on standard RCA cables - It'll all work just fine. Component/VGA input on the other hand, is when you buy one of those hella expensive component cables for the digital port on the gamecube, wire up that converter chip, do the VGA mod, and get a beautiful digital picture on a screen with VGA input. It's not as common to use component/RGB/VGA input on a GCP. If you're just using standard A/V, you'll be in good shape.

zack said:
Ok, so the screen will work just fine with composite input. That means the yellow video wire on standard RCA cables - It'll all work just fine. Component/VGA input on the other hand, is when you buy one of those hella expensive component cables for the digital port on the gamecube, wire up that converter chip, do the VGA mod, and get a beautiful digital picture on a screen with VGA input. It's not as common to use component/RGB/VGA input on a GCP. If you're just using standard A/V, you'll be in good shape.

so you tested this screen with the VGA mod???
only asking because you did not confirm exactly what is not compatible about this screen using the VGA mod

I'm just wanting to get the highest quality possible for this portable. Is the quality that noticable between component and composite on a 5 inch screen? If not then I might just forget trying to buy a component cable and just do composite quality instead.

Are there any screens that you know of that do accept component? And would this ebay screen be better to buy than taking a screen off a PSOne? I'm still very mixed about whether its better to have component quality instead of composite since its going to be on a small screen anyway. Any advice on that?

There is an enormous difference between composite and component, and definitely on a 5" screen. If you plan to use the component cable, though, you're probably going to have to VGA mod it because screens that accept component input are rare (or may not exist). And what Zack's saying is that this screen in particular won't work with VGA from the component cable even though it does have VGA input, much less component video.

In my opinion, you're better off using composite for your first GCp. It'll save you $50-100 that you can use for better batteries, replacing fried parts, and to keep you from skimping on stuff.

megalomaniac said:
zack said:

so you tested this screen with the VGA mod???
only asking because you did not confirm exactly what is not compatible about this screen using the VGA mod
I haven't tested it myself, but I know because I communicated often with member zeldaxpro, and when he tried using the VGA mod, the screen did not accept the correct frequencies. He then bought a Dalian Good Display, and I traded him for the 5" screen, since I'm using composite anyways.

thanks for the feedback about that screen...
i guess Dalian are still the safe choice to get since they have been confirmed over and over...

i have a Dalian screen here that zefeldo sent me for RGBHV testing...
what a nice screen it is...worth the cost....now only to figure out how to clean the GC signal to show up better with these monitors in progressive mode...

:cry:

Back