Is the N64 I'm using broken?

Here is what I do know works perfectly:

The step-down regulator I'm using works fine. The screen I'm using works fine. The speakers I'm using work fine. The controller, Jumper Pak, and game cart all work fine, I've tested them on a working N64. The built-in power switch has been manually connected with solder so it's always "on" and I've added another power switch like this:

+---+
| 1 4 |
| 2 5 |
| 3 6 |
+---+
1= (12v-) Ground to battery/power source
2= Ground from N64/Speakers/etc.
3= Nothing
4= Power to N64/etc.
5= (12v+) Power from battery/power source
6= Nothing

Here's what my be wrong:

The cartridge port relocation wiring is a bit sloppy, but I've checked it and it looks good.
The N64 is fried.

Some extra info:

There are 2 small capacitors right next to the power input on the N64 labeled C160 and C161 that were accidentally removed and I just replaced them with solder to bridge the gap.
The N64 CPU/GPU doesn't get instantly hot, but after about 5 minutes it gets mildly hot, not enough to burn anything/anyone but it's fairly hot.

May seems stupid or useless, but I never plus ground on a switch, I just use a 2-pins switch, one wire goes from battery + to the switch, and as many wires as you need goes from the other pin of the switch to the hardware(n64, screen, regulator...). I always plug ground from all hardware directly to the battery.

I always use that way to plug my system, from shockslayer:

yup.png

If you just want to test, follow the diagram but forget the charger ports. only plug batteries and hardware the way you see, as you have the same switch (seems like).

I saw that system but I want my battery to always be connected to the power supply, even if it's off. That system makes it so the batteries will only charge if the switch is "on".

ShockSlayer said:
How it works:
ON: The console is powered by the batteries; neither port is connected to anything
OFF: The batteries get connected to the charger port, and the AC adapter port gets connected to the console
You were saying?
How were you planning on charging the batteries? Where is the charger involved? What flaxty batteries are giving you 12V?

The batteries I'm using were salvaged from a DVD player. Also, the AC->DC adapter is built into my charger so I just have a DC in port on the console which is connected to the batteries when it's plugged in.

But still, I can't see our understand how you expect to charge your batteries, or charge your batteries while playing. I know on mine I don't have anyway to play while charging, the diagram posted above gives the simplest way to play and charge your system. Plus, most chargers that will charge your batteries won't give enough amps to do both play and charge.

Try to rewire your switch to match what's in the diagram (typically if shockslayer, ashen, or zenloc have made diagrams of it, its pretty much been researched to exhaustion). Then test again, but the caps you just bridged could be needed. But sort your switch first dude.

I'll try to wire the switch like that, but what should I do about the AC Adapter port? Like I said, the portable only gets one port of input (DC)

Back