Iphone Jailbreaking/Unlocking

Ishwhale

I'm getting an Iphone 3gs tomorrow and I'm gonna be jailbreaking/unlocking it for use with T-Mobile. I'm not going to have the AT&T SIM card from the previous owner. Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm gonna use PurpleRa1n and UltraSn0w. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to boot the phone without the AT&T SIM card, though. Any help is appreciated.

The Whale

The phone will boot without a card, and I think you can just use Jailbreakme on the phone itself, but it may not support whatever OS version the phone has.

Flux. If this was 2008 I could help you. Despite my avatar, Ive been out of this scene for years.

Just found out its just the 3g, not the 3gs which is no biggie. I'm just happy to sort of catch up with the rest of the world even though I'm still three generations behind. I'm gonna find out what version the OS is and go from there. I'll report back with how it goes.

Just keep in mind you won't be able to access the 3G on T-Mobile, so effectively it'll be almost identical to having a first gen iPhone.

Currently posting from iPhone. Things went pretty smooth. Only a couple hiccups. Thanks to mako for that link, it helped. Yeah there's no 3G right now but it's no big deal. Since AT&T bought t-mobile anyway there will be 3G within the year. Until then I can manage with edge and wifi.

The Whale

I did this myself for nearly a year, it works really well.

PROTIP! When you go into T-Mobile, do NOT activate the SIM card with your iPhone, especially in-store. If you do, they will make you pay $30 a month for smartphone data. Instead, activate it using a super duper cheapy phone, or tell them you just want the SIM card on its own. If they ask what phone you have, tell them you have a Razr V3. You can make sure by changing your phone marked on the plan to a Razr V3 in your online T-Mobile control panel.

From there, enable the $10 a month "normal phone" internet. Put it into your iPhone and voila! Since it has an AT&T IMEI code, they cannot identify it as a smartphone, so you get data for only $10 a month. :)

Back