Invisible Children/Kony 2012/The Uganda Crisis

This is definitely some serious stuff. Everyone needs to share this video as much as possible.
nope.avi

We JUST watched this in my econ class, and was thinking about posting it here. what a coincidence. And yes, this must be shared.

Edit: I think this is the most up to date thing I've ever discussed for a class in school... Weird. :rolleyes: (Besides the stock crashes and stuff in 2008).

Only 31% of the funds raised by Invisible Children actually go towards helping this. That's a problem.

We already had some military presence there looking for this guy. The massive amount of attention this video brought to the situation is not helping in the slightest. If anything, it's making it harder for us.

By donating, you're actually stirring flax up more than you're helping. That and what ^ said. The authenticity of the fund connected to this video is questionable at best.

The 32% argument is flawed.

My best friend, Tyler, explains why:
The 32% statistic that's being spread only accounts for direct services. It completely ignores the point that Invisible Children is primarily a media organization; community development projects are secondary. So it's basically a manipulation of facts

Also, raising awareness of the problems that were primarily in Uganda at the start, that have now moved to other areas of Africa CANNOT be a bad thing. I really can't see how raised awareness of issues in Africa would be detrimental. I think a lot of people out there are simply trying to find problems with the movie.

Oh and *Can'tSayThisOnTV* Kony.

I like how by watching a half hour propaganda video, everyone suddenly knows everything about third world problems.

I don't have a problem with the film raising awareness. But it's just like many other third world charities; play on emotions to help fund business first, charity work second.

Antome said:
I like how by watching a half hour propaganda video, everyone suddenly knows everything about the "Uganda crisis".

I havent seen or heard anyone claiming that. The crisis is complicated for sure. Just read any tweets by a journalist that has been over there and you'll realize that.

Now, everyone suddenly knows that there IS a "Uganda crisis" and a war criminal attached to the crisis by the name of Kony.

Claims? Mostly people in my facebook feed (and surely others) discussing the topic without any evidence to back their statements other than what is in the video. Just the same old "debate without evidence" thing going on really. That's all that is particularly frustrating.

The only people who really know what is going on in Uganda are people who live there.

These slacktivists who are debating whats happening and what to do can *Can'tSayThisOnTV* off, pretending you care is worse than not actually caring at all.

Also one of their founders looks like Tim Buckley.

Md1Rr.jpg

"Non-profit"

Still, the primary goal of any non-profit is paying all of its employees. Then whatever it is they say they do is a secondary goal.

Awareness does not help when it comes to something like this. Suddenly, the whole world (okay, maybe just all of Tumblr) knows who Kony is and what he does. So what? Will that make him turn himself over to the proper authorities? No, it will make him that much more scared and that much harder to find.

Plus, Invisible Children does very little direct help. They mostly make movies with stupid titles

Back