Introduction of My G³p, and Myself

AteOeight

Aloha everyone!
I'm here because I was inspired by all the beauties everyone is making! Although there are GC emus, they pale in comparison to portable-izing an actual GC! Thank you to everyone whom gave input thus far! I've been looking to get back into GC, and this will be just the thing I need to get me into GC gaming again. I've been into modifying for several years now, started with rooting androids, jailbreaking idevices & PSPs to current PSV. From softmods to now hardmods, I install modchips on XB 360s, and also repairs. This hobby is starting to taper off into ever electronic device I own, personalizing beyond software! I fell in love with Tchays Envision(thank you), and I'm determined to make one for myself! So without further delay, I present my GC portable: G³p
9364402258_3b7b91ac7b_m.jpg

A mockup from my inspiration(edited on phone)...
9361625809_78a2f76135_m.jpg
9361625695_0efac630c3_m.jpg
9364401986_938686c97a_m.jpg
9361625453_a844fd7160_m.jpg

my license plate mount!

I wanted to start with a case before I moved into anything else, I have a v1.1 DOL-001 that will be near Almost OMGWTF. I don't wanna have to relocate smaller components. I also have a v1.0 DOL-001 which I've made the front cut near Almost OMGWTF(mem ports and player ports gone! Still works!). I have my WKF on its way, I wanna use iPhone loudspeakers(maybe the one from the 5), a 5" lcd(possibly high res depending on input... please?), and mos def the slim thinkpad heatsink+fan. Any input would be greatly apreciated, thanks in advanced!

looking at your post I think you linked to images directly in you Gmail, that isn't gonna work.

Use Flickr.

Can't wait to see it.

Updates will be here, as OP is introduction
7/24
Project G³p begins:
DOL-101 rev C
WKF in place of DD
SD Gecko
5" 16:9 800x480 LCD
Thinkpad slim heatsink
iPhone5 loudspeakers w/ idevice mini amp
Li-Ion(not sure of setup yet)
stock regulator(may change)

July
My work on the rev A board came to an end with a video problem, I had ordered all necessities to make a portable. I got a rev C given to me, so I've put the rev A aside. Mobo is prep'd for for portable hardware.

*sigh* Once again, mockup
9364402258_6c8d62937a_o.jpg

9361625809_f596c06f34_o.jpg

and here's the mount, I especially like how to top feels when my index fingers are resting there.
9361625695_c0cb05d3b8_o.jpg

9364401986_a82f0f67e5_o.jpg

9361625453_64c255d94f_o.jpg

... :sweat: *sigh*

Thank you for your comment, you're right though. As a first timer, maybe I should stick with a pre-fab'd case. I got one of these laying around, dimensions are(at its widest) 8"x6"x1 1/3"
9366714729_9b725b51ca.jpg

whaddaya think of this?
9369496078_62048b22b1.jpg

its got ventilation already, may need a fewmore holes though.

first timer you should bdefinatly keep it simple or you could be like me and five years later still be working on their first

Today I ordered a 5" 800x480 LCD, and a thinkpad heatsink. EBay has those slim thinkpad heatsinks under $15 shipped! Last night I desoldered all the ports... just have to wait for the LCD to come in to test!

Yea, I'd like to attempt component, but I need the digital cord for the PCB in it. Here's some shots of current status, I couldn't wait for the LCD.
9385847111_2f88db5d3d.jpg

9388622132_230ab510bd.jpg

I'll probably cut it near OMGWTF, leaving a few centimeters extra on the backside so I won't have to relocate those filters.

I was looking into using component(RGB) for my high res LCD, and found something conflicting. I can't do Almost/OMGWTF if I want component. Is there any alternate pinouts for component?

AteOeight said:
I was looking into using component(RGB) for my high res LCD, and found something conflicting. I can't do Almost/OMGWTF if I want component. Is there any alternate pinouts for component?

You can use component regardless of what trim you have, just use a multimeter and find where the pins are before you cut.

something I have been meditating on (I'm doing the same thing) there are board sands on this site and they are quite helpful

1 board down, video problem is killing me! Put it aside for now, got a rev C given to me. All ports desoldered, video works, and since there isn't a whole lot you can trim off from this board; it'll be untrimmed. Zenloc heatsink comes in today, LCD next week. WKF, slot A, SD gecko, and controller will be soldered hopefully by weeks end.

Thanks Carlifirio! Small update, I didn't get a chance to install WKF/controller. I did install LCD, and realized, I'm gonna need to get creative with the controller layout or bondo one in and use filler. But here's a look at the LCD installed.
9478145612_9d9d7d9425.jpg

9478144466_ccb2ac8024.jpg

9502210509_3cd2901358_o.jpg

So I'm getting a few errors, and WKF debug LED is solid blue on powering up... sometimes/immediately I
get the DD error, sometimes/immediately I get "Cannot Read Disc", seldom do I get the "Reading Disc..."
but it hangs til DD error. Should I just use thicker wire, I shouldn't be having latency issues as the wires
are ≤4" except for the ground and power wires. Also, is it okay to use a 4GB class3 micro SD+adapter in
place of proper SDHC?

First have to say, Nice Portable so far! The Errors and Light you are getting are because of a wiring problem. I was getting the same problem literally 2 days ago. I redid my wiring and sure enough it was fine. Go through and check continuity on each of the wires. If that yealds no faults, i would say try thicker or shorter wire.

The SD Card should be fine aswell.

Bum said:
First have to say, Nice Portable so far! The Errors and Light you are getting are because of a wiring problem. I was getting the same problem literally 2 days ago. I redid my wiring and sure enough it was fine. Go through and check continuity on each of the wires. If that yealds no faults, i would say try thicker or shorter wire.

The SD Card should be fine aswell.
Thank you, means a lot! You think it would have anything specifically to do with my WKF grounding? I read in the WKF trouble shooting guide errors like this come from grounding issues.

Back