Introducing, the Crimson Cube v2

RedmagnusX

Hey guys. I just wanted to show off my latest Portable Gamecube. It's also a special one for me because it is the first project that I made a case for using my new 3d printer. The case is design from the ground up in AutoCad and 3d printed by me complete with screw posts.

Specs:

5.6" Dalian Good Display @480p
480p picture through Gamecube Component chip
Custom 7.4v Lithium Ion Battery pack @6800 mah
Component Video AV out Via Custom made adapter plug
4 controller support via custom 4 controller port adapter
Dual Tact modded L and R Buttons for full range
Wiikey Fusion flashed with Swiss
Full Range Analog sticks with Original C Stick and Buttons
AlmostWTF? Cut Revision B Motherboard @ IPL 1.1
IBM Thinkpad Heatsink @ 3.3v
Original 3d Printed case measuring 195mm (L) x 114mm (W) x 40mm (D)

Looks nice. Very clean. I like high screen to body ratio you got going, and your use of original buttons.
How did you do the triggers?
Also is it comfortable?

Thanks man. It really helps to have a 3d printer that you can design mounts fore the components with.

I would have to do a tutorial to properly explain how I do the triggers, but I'll give you a brief explanation. What I essentially do is I disassemble a push button switch and trim the inside of button so that it can accommodate two tact switches (one hard press, one squishy). From there, I mount the hard press tact switch to a small piece of breadboard and I mount the squishy tact above it using its longer legs. Then I mount them inside the push button switch housing with epoxy. This way you can use the original button to press the two tacts.

I find it to be very comfortable to hold. The edges have been rounded to prevent sharp edges . Everything lines up well including the Z button. Thanks to the mounts, the buttons feel very nice and secure when pressed. The trigger mod is also very easy to press with little effort.

Sexy. I like that the case doesn't require paint, so there's none to scratch or wear.

How strong is the case? Approximately how much filament did it require cost-wise? There's been quite a bit of discussion about using 3d printed cases, but I don't think I've seen any specifics on cost.

I really love the use of original buttons and a 4::3: screen (even though Swiss is rendering the need for them obsolete).

vskid3 said:
Sexy. I like that the case doesn't require paint, so there's none to scratch or wear.

How strong is the case? Approximately how much filament did it require cost-wise? There's been quite a bit of discussion about using 3d printed cases, but I don't think I've seen any specifics on cost.

The case is solid. The walls of it are 2mm thick and that seems to be plenty. As for how much filament I used, I don't have the exact number, but I still have plenty left on the same roll.

ProgMetalMan said:
I really love the use of original buttons and a 4::3: screen (even though Swiss is rendering the need for them obsolete).

As cool as it is that Swiss forces widescreen, I just can't bring myself to use a 16:9 screen. For one it's not true to the original and I feel as though it would render using vga moot, but also widescreens just make the portable so wide.

Well hot Dang; what wall thickness are you using? Whenever I design a file sculpteo wants several hundred dollars for it.

Bush said:
Well hot Dang; what wall thickness are you using? Whenever I design a file sculpteo wants several hundred dollars for it.

The walls are 2mm thick. They're plenty strong too. The thing is solid.

Geez several hundred dollars!?!?? That's ridiculous.

Back