Internal Li-Po Game Boy Pocket

Bibin

Frequent Poster
For this mod, I did surgery on my precious Famitsu special edition game boy pocket. No worries, I still have the original shell - I could make this stock again if I wanted.

famitsu_lipo.JPG

http://bibin.gg8.se/blog/?p=25

I can't get enough of these mods, nice job. By the way, why did you burn that SP? And how much did that Famitsu GBP cost you? As I'm typing this, I keep thinking of questions, haha. How long until you do a GBP with rechargeable internal batteries, pro sound mod, double-clock, and backlight (plus anything else)?

P.S. I wouldn't mind a guide for this. ;)

Jewjo said:
I can't get enough of these mods, nice job. By the way, why did you burn that SP? And how much did that Famitsu GBP cost you? As I'm typing this, I keep thinking of questions, haha. How long until you do a GBP with rechargeable internal batteries, pro sound mod, double-clock, and backlight (plus anything else)?

I refuse to prosound it. There is no need. Prosounding a pocket makes it quieter, and the bass weaker. The only reason to pro-sound is because the power plug makes a loud hum, but since the Li-po battery in this situation acts a little like a capacitor, the prosound is pointless.

Double clock, I think it is silly, so I won't do it.

Everything else you mentioned I already did :awesome:

SP was burnt because it was already in flax condition, and I stole parts from it. It still works!

Famitsu GBP I got, in box with manuals etc. for frontlighting a GBC for Damon of Starscream.

Bibin said:
Jewjo said:

I refuse to prosound it. There is no need. Prosounding a pocket makes it quieter, and the bass weaker. The only reason to pro-sound is because the power plug makes a loud hum, but since the Li-po battery in this situation acts a little like a capacitor, the prosound is pointless.

Double clock, I think it is silly, so I won't do it.

Everything else you mentioned I already did :awesome:
Yeah, I just figured that out on one of my own GBPs. I thought with a name like prosound, it would increase the sound quality or something. :oops:

Really? I like it. Fast for Pokemon, normal for most games, and slow for Tetris. To each his own.

Do you just wire up the battery and the cgb's regulator handles it, or must you use a resistor to make it 3v?

There is no CGB.

The battery is just soldered to the battery terminals. It is also soldered in paralell to the RJ-11 port, which leads to the battery terminals on the GBASP (if it's plugged in). As far as the GBASP is concerned, it has a battery in it.

I had the idea to do this with a GBC awhile ago. Looks Good only thing i would have don differently would be to use the DC in jack it already has. I like it.

banditpaw1 said:
I had the idea to do this with a GBC awhile ago. Looks Good only thing i would have don differently would be to use the DC in jack it already has. I like it.
If you do this, the battery will explode. You can not just feed raw voltage to the battery. I used a weird jack like RJ-11 so nobody would try to plug in an unprotected power source.

Bibin said:
banditpaw1 said:
If you do this, the battery will explode. You can not just feed raw voltage to the battery. I used a weird jack like RJ-11 so nobody would try to plug in an unprotected power source.
I wouldnt feed raw voltage i have multiple GAB Sp mobo's I would have used and Honestly how often do you see one of those plugs? I have one becuase i bought a car adapter for my GBC along time ago. But yours is idiot proof :dah:

banditpaw1 said:
Bibin said:
banditpaw1 said:
I wouldnt feed raw voltage i have multiple GAB Sp mobo's I would have used and Honestly how often do you see one of those plugs? I have one becuase i bought a car adapter for my GBC along time ago. But yours is idiot proof :dah:

I have eight of them. They can be easily found at radioshack or other electronics dealers.

i have the bottom drawer of a file cabinet filled with them. they range from 48 volts to -48volts (phantom power from an old sound system).

Back