I'm New to Modding and Could Use Some Help

Hi guys, I am new to modding and I need some help to get started. My goal is to create a gamecube portable, but after doing some research, it looks like that would be a difficult starting project. I do not have any soldering experience but I do have a soldering iron. Is there a good way to learn how to solder? I have a lot of supplies( 2 gamecubes, 10 ps1s, 2 xboxs, an xbox 360, 2 ps2s, a psone screen, a dreamcast, master system, ataris, and more). Should I start off with the gamecube portable or start with something easier? Where should I go to learn more about the electronics of this as well? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Atari and NES are good places to start modding. Check out you tube for this guy doing video blogs. I think eevb soldering would be good Google search criteria. Then your going to need an iron, flux, solder, and something to tear apart and put back together. If you have any systems that are dead practice on those first looking for optimum results matching to what things look like on the video. Then move to something working if you feel confident. Good luck.

Hello, stillyx3, I can't really help you, because I'm not a professional portabilizer, but one day, I wanted, just like you, to build a portable Gamecube. Some people told me it was pretty hard and I must say - it's hard for a first - but if you are determined to make a portable Gamecube, then that's what you need to build. To be honest, the only way to learn soldering is to try soldering things. Also, I think there are some tutorials on the Internet.

Back to the portable Gamecube. I've started one too, here's how I've proceeded :
1- Get a plain Gamecube mobo with a minimal trim - final result (just remove the gold edges) :
http://origin.arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.media/images/gc-mobo-small.jpg

2- Get a case. That's really important and before ordering or creating any case, you should measure your mobo.

3- Get a screen. Once again, that's more or less linked to your case dimensions. The size of your screen depends on it, so be careful. Ebay's 12v car screens work perfectly !

4- Get an amp, and speakers. DS Lite ones are pretty good.

5- Wire needed things to make the GC working. =Wiring the screen, and the audio part. Once you've done that, just try to put the mobo in your case, just in case it wouldn't fit anymore.

6- Wiikey Fusion ! I'm actually at that step, so I can't really explain you, but the Wiikey Fusion is a chip that allows you to remove the disc drive and play backups from an SD card. that's really important for a portable GC, but also very complex to wire for me. I'm actually trying to wire one.

I hope this will help you, and if it doesn't, this link will surely : http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=84. This is a pretty complete guide to portable gamecube, and caseworking.

Also, I'm terribly sorry for my English.
Uly_

Within this forum, as you've no doubt noticed, lay multiple mega-stickies. I would suggest reading ALL of these. Yes, it is a ton of information and may take a couple hours, but it's well worth it-you'll come out the other end with at least a decent understanding of all the important parts. Also, be careful of missing some stickies, as there's one in just about every section.

Beyond that, all you need is experience, and to read some worklogs (see finished projects section). You can learn just about everything from the guides compiled on this site.

K

Back