I'm a blacksmith.

βeta

ModRetro Legend
7119_132190741710_519386710_3008761_1631911_n.jpg

Just finished building this forge in front of my garage yesterday. I'm not good at this whole "summary" business, so ask me questions and I'll talk about what I did and how! :D

EDIT: I can think of something to say.

Anvil: It's a 110lb anvil that was given to us. It's REALLY heavy. Needs to be refinished, the top isn't very smooth. Gotta figure out how to do that.

Blower: It's a lancaster hand crank centrifugal blower. It's about 100 years old. Bought it off of another blacksmith for $250. (The only thing I paid for) Most people go the cheaper route and use a small vacuum or something as an air source, but that's not my style. I wanted to have a silent forge. Also, I have much more control over airflow and temperatures because it's not a constant electric source.

Fire bowl: It's a brakedrum from a semi truck.

The stands: They're made of 2x3s and 3/4" ply. They were really fun to make because of all the angles required to get the tilted legs. (for stability)

Fuel: It's Kingsford charcoal, but that's just was on hand. It's going to run REAL coal as soon as I get some. Charcoal works, but not as well, and there's lots of sparks.

Metal: It's a railroad spike. I'm making it into.... nothing. I don't know, I'm just experimenting. It's my first time on a forge.

Grinding wheel in background: It's a treadle-powered grinding wheel. It was for sale as a lawn ornament on someone's front lawn, and I snagged it for $35. It's not really useful for smithing, but it sharpens a mean axe.

That's all I can think of, ask questions!

That... is awesome.

I always wanted to try my hand at making knives/swords in this manner... is that what you're aiming at?

Armor first.

Making blades is not as fun as it sounds. You can either take a file or some other super-hard steel and grind it slowly into a blade, or you can fold a piece of high-carbon steel a bajillion times and then heat-treat it hard. It's so much easier to just buy a good knife. That said, I'm totally going to make knives. :lol:

I'm making samurai armor, tools, hinges, and other various pieces of useful hardware.

I also plan on using the forge as a heat source for melting and casting brass and pewter.

Cool. But why did you spend that much on a blower? Is it really that awesome?

Anyway, make a sword, just because it's cool.

Tongs? Pansy. Gloves? Double pansy. JK, NOBODY is stupid enough to touch red hot metal.

The gloves were for the picture, I totally wasn't wearing them the rest of the time. :ninj: I'm using big pliers until I make some real tongs.

The blower: It's awesome, look at it. :rofl:

Also, that steel gets to be 1800ºF :p

That blower looks like one of those hand-cranked bomb sirens from a war movie. :lol:

Glad to see it's an anvil and not just an ASO.
Also, diggin' the hat. :awesome:

I've got another smaller anvil that doesn't have a stand yet. What's an ASO? :o I love my hat.

It stands for anvil-shaped object, and it's an anvil mad from poor materials that will not stand up to real use.

I'm just wondering, how do you make armor? Just flattening and bending pieces of steel or whatever?

Also, you really should wear gloves all the time. A piece of metal will go through your finger faster than you could feel it. Though I suppose gloves wouldn't save you from that. Just flying sparks.

Mario said:
I'm just wondering, how do you make armor? Just flattening and bending pieces of steel or whatever?

Also, you really should wear gloves all the time. A piece of metal will go through your finger faster than you could feel it. Though I suppose gloves wouldn't save you from that. Just flying sparks.
Armor is made by a combination of bending, raising, dishing, and heat treating steel. Also, chainmaille. Plates are held together with rivets and hinges, and in many cases for Japanese armor; laces.

I'm really not doing anything that involves metal shavings, not until I start cutting sheet metal. The gloves are for when I'm adding coal to the fire or just messing with it, because the sparks hurt my sensitive princess skin.

so are you a n00b with equipment, or do you actually know what you are doing? i was totally gonna try doing this. :awesome:

I'm a noob armed with equipment, the Internet, a few fine books, and the knowledge of the more experienced people around me.

I should totally commission you to do stuff. :dah: No flax.

How fine can you get with smaller peices of metal?

>.>
<.<

Can you make batarangs?

SS

Back