I'm a Beginner: Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ModRetro community!
I've been reading this forum for a few days now, and modding seems like something I'd really like to get into. The only trouble is, I really don't know all that much about, well, modding. I can easily run down to the hardware store and pick some things up.

Any suggestions on equipment to buy?

Any small projects to help me hone the craft?

Honestly, anything would really be helpful. Thank you for your time, and I hope that none of you are smacking your foreheads at my shockingly little knowledge.

Well, for starters, you should have some basic tools:

Soldering Iron
Dremel or a drill, preferably both
Screwdrivers with all kinds of bits (the more the better)
Desoldering iron

You should practice soldering wires to dead boards to get used it, if you've never soldered before. You can also practice with motors and batteries, simple switches, yada yada until you think you have the hang of it.

If you want an easy project, you can try backlighting a gameboy, or LED modding a home console, or something similar. Anything that requires little soldering or case work is perfect for getting some practice in.

If you want to get into portablizing, which is the most common type of modding done here, then get an idea of what system you'd like to fiddle with. If you're an n64 aficionado, or even if you aren't, it's not a bad place to start. I lot of people like this system and will offer you a lot of help.

Sorry for the late reply. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks!
I found a soldering iron that was still in its package in my garage. It's a 25 Watt Weller.
Where's the best place to buy a dremmel and a desoldering iron? Home Depot?

Also, whats the best solder to use for modding?

Casillas444 said:
Thanks!
I found a soldering iron that was still in its package in my garage. It's a 25 Watt Weller.
Where's the best place to buy a dremmel and a desoldering iron? Home Depot?

Also, whats the best solder to use for modding?
You can get a Dremel most places that sell tools. I'd check prices online at Amazon and such. I personally bought mine at Walmart because I had a gift card or something similar, so yeah.

Desoldering IRONS aren't needed as much as pumps. You can get a little hand desoldering pump at your nearest Radio Shack for like 5 bucks.

Get a thin solder, and not silver solder, as it melts at a much higher temperature and a beginning modder would more easily damage temperature-sensitive components using this. Get a thinner gauge solder with a rosin core. It just makes soldering a bit easier. I would also suggest getting flux by itself in addition to getting rosin core solder. You can get your flux/solder at Radio Shack or Fry's or a place similar.

Casillas444 said:
I'll head out today to get some stuff, then. I'm really excited to get started on this.
Dude I am not trying to waste your time but i do not think a internet forums is gonna help you.

when they tell you to backlight a gameboy that has nothing to do with knowing eletronics or even make the kind of stuff that ben hack does, go to trade school and google at the same time. forums people can be very unhelpful at times and say things that dont make any sense.

jerbar120 said:
Casillas444 said:
I'll head out today to get some stuff, then. I'm really excited to get started on this.
Dude I am not trying to waste your time but i do not think a internet forums is gonna help you.

when they tell you to backlight a gameboy that has nothing to do with knowing eletronics or even make the kind of stuff that ben hack does, go to trade school and google at the same time. forums people can be very unhelpful at times and say things that dont make any sense.
Who are you exactly?

budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
Casillas444 said:

Who are you exactly?

Im the one and only jerbar120.

jerbar120 said:
budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
Casillas444 said:

Who are you exactly?

Never heard of you. You shouldn't tell others to stay away from forums. They're immensely helpful. Also, you should learn how to spell Ben Heck.

budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
Casillas444 said:

Who are you exactly?

Never heard of you. You shouldn't tell others to stay away from forums. They're immensely helpful. Also, you should learn how to spell Ben Heck.

Thank you for your lighting advice. Nicktoons is on let me watch tv now.

jerbar120 said:
budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
budnespid said:
jerbar120 said:
Casillas444 said:

Who are you exactly?

Thank you for your lighting advice. Nicktoons is on let me watch tv now.
No problem, kiddo. Take all the time you need with your flaxty non-1990s nickelodeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back