I need help with character development

LaDestitute

I need help writing a part of my Pokemon rom hack's storyline. So, the rival is like Gen V's Hugh (personality wise), except he becomes more like Gen II's rival gradually. I need a good reason as to why he turns from your best friend to your worst nightmare. The villainous team is like Team Galactic (goal wise, they want to get their hands on a legendary Pokemon that is said to hold all of the absolute answers and truths to the universe...which can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands) and the hero/heroine isn't really morally ambiguous at all. They won't do anything wrong, and will always be encouraged to do the right thing.

I say make the rival go through something that makes him vulnerable and confused at one point, like his starter Pokemon dying. Seeing him in this state, the evil team promises him answers/hope/a purpose in life, and he turns to their side.

He discovers manlove, protagonist wants nothing to do with him. He's burned real bad and gets angry.

ttsgeb said:
He discovers manlove, protagonist wants nothing to do with him. He's burned real bad and gets angry.
This sounds eerily familiar...

I feel like he should start out as the ambitious type. He's very competitive but good (kinda like Gary, I guess, but not a dick who's girth you can't ignore). Maybe he then gets taken under the wing of an older experienced fellow (perhaps businessman) who puts him on errands that begin innocent but slowly become more and more questionable and before he knows it, he's the right-hand man of the bad guy.

What does the world look like? If it's a Crapsack World, Crapsaccarine World, or even a moderately realistic one, there's a fairly easy way to do this. He starts out naive, ambitious, and with a positive outlook. As he gets out and experiences what the world is really like, though, he starts to become more jaded, angry, and uncaring.

Back