i need a "gaming" pc

hey, i was wondering what i could get for about 600-700$
i don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse, just the machine itself, it'd be nice if it would play modern games around 20-25fps,
may be about 100$ higher than the budget, not something i need immediatly help with, also, the parts need to be sent to europe, if it's possible free, otherwise as cheap as possible :)

You could start by checking the two topics below yours, which are about building a system for that same price range...

For that price, it's possible to get something that will play games at decent framerates, not stuttery slow ones. I don't know of any places in Europe, but the parts are the same if a bit more expensive. For $700 or so, you could PROBABLY go for a quad core Sandy Bridge, but forget overclocking- you're not going to be able to afford a P67 motherboard and a decent graphics card. For the graphics card, the ever-popular GTX 460 is your best bet. Avoid the SE version, but go for the 1GB non-SE if you can afford it.

if it's about 20-25 fps, with somewhat decent graphics it's good enough for me, doesn't need to be on highest settings, cuz i don't really care about that :p just needs to play smoothly, also i don't need an hdd, so that's about 100$ i think (it's a 750gb sata one)
also the budget could be expanded, but not all that much, also i've heard that if the parts could only ship to us, you could get a us adress from some company and then they send it to your personal adress, i wonder if anyone has any experience with it?

i was thinking if this would do for my needs, if you could make it cheaper, please do :)

DVD-drive 20$
power supply 110$ (with 20$ mail-in rebate card)
case 100$
cheap 4gb ddr3 memory 40$
gigabyte gtx460 graph card 186$ (with 20$ mail-in rebate card)
asus motherboard 130$
i5 sandy bridge processor 225$

total of $810 without shipping to europe that is.

maybe i could go for a cheaper processor or case, doesn't cost all that much in comparison to other machines i've seen, and i think it'll do what i need it to do
any suggestions for a change are welcome :)

I would get a 500w PSU and get 6GB of RAM. 750w really isn't necessary unless you have like 3 graphics cards :p

I would advise against getting the Antec 300 unless you have a mobo that's specially designed to have the PSU on the bottom of the case. I have an Antec 300 and the wiring is absolutely a mess.

I don't have a problem with my 300. All the extra power cables are crammed in that little space between the 3.5" slots and the motherboard-side of the case.

You shouldn't have to spend a whole lot on a case. After all, it's just a metal box you're jamming parts into. If you're really trying to save money, any ATX case should serve the purpose assuming it has adequate ventilation.

If you're really cheap, build a case out of the boxes the components came in. I think MaximumPC did that once for a budget PC challenge. But yeah, any cheap case with extra fans tacked on or even running with the sides off should do fine.

for me the case doesn't matter all that much, just needs to house everything nice and be small enough to be placed under a desk

...i just dismantled my main computer which was :

AMD X2 4400+
2Gb ram
1Tb hdd
ati hd3650??( cant be sure here)

It played mass effect 2 very nicely, also COD MW2....

SOOO...in making a good computer you must be sure to select components that wont bottleneck with anothers...

mainly...while CPU is important...Graphics card and RAM is much more for games....

big points to to look at:
GRAPHICS CARD: must have at least 256bit bus for 512MB ram...get away from 128bit bus ones...
1GB i would look for 512Bit bus (but this should be expensive...) neverthless! dont go for less then 256Bit BUS!

RAM: i normally dont care much about if its OCZ or Gskill, but i normally go for Kingston Hyperx or something...
check for low timings.....like this...you got loads of options of RAM...so settle for a frequency...i would go for about 1333? or even 1600...then check timings they go like this Cas:9-9-9-24 ...the lower you find the best....the lower the timing the more expensive it will be...4GB is enough for now...you may want to go for 8GB...

Motherboard: dont choose MSI or AsROCK....please...Gygabyte, asus, and some other might be good...go for a motherboard that will leave your with options for future...check CPU compatibility, RAM slots and speed.....

CPU: as i said i think its the less important stuff for gaming...may be for reencoding video, image manipulation...So a core i5 is mostly overkill....an i3 is enough as it is...
the bigger difference from an i3 to a i5 is that
core i3 are dual core with hyperthreading...
core i5 are quad core without hyperthreading.
Once again..for gaming dual core with hyperthreading is more then enough...whatever they say....

Power Supply: 650W with 80Plus certification is overkill already.

HDD: anything with high cache...32MB for 500GB, 64MB for 1TB and upwards.

get a nicely cooled case and stock CPU heatsink with cooler is enough.

this is my personal opinion from more then 6 years of working in a IT company and playing with computers since 10 years..im 24 now.

if you dont need to spend all the money...then dont, theres always something you want more...

Theres almost more ellipses than useful info in that post. And, realistically, browsing by CAS latencies, bus speeds and whatnot is pretty well pointless these days. Any modern motherboard will have pcie 16x 2.1 and any good graphics card will have plenty of memory bandwidth to not bottleneck. As for RAM, CAS latency matters a teensy bit, I suppose. But Id rather buy a 4gb set of 9-9-9-24 G.skill than a 8-9-8-23 4gb set of kingston or what have you for $30 more.

With the last build overview he posted, none of what you mentioned will be an issue.

i wonder if bus speeds are pointless if the bottleneck is in the graphics card.....
its like having an highway of 4 lanes but before reaching the factory have a 1 lane road....
1GB 256-bit is enough to not bottleneck??? i wonder :lol:
256-bit were already required for 512MB with low GDDR speeds....now with 1GB and high GDDR speeds......

as for ram i only stated that i rather have kingston (personal preference as im not a speed maniac) since i NEVER had a problem with their RAM (exclude Value Ram versions).

i gave my opinion he can do has he wishes....

well, i asked my brother some stuff and he'll send me the hardware he included, i'll post it here once i get it, anyways i want to thank all of you for your help :) as i am rather new to this :p and i have alot of interest in everything with computers and i find this a good way to learn about what people think and get some of their experience, thank you all verry much :D
and tbh, i think it'd be cheaper to do this with a local pc store rather than have it ship from the US, cuz shipping all that stuff heavy as it is, wouldn't be to cheap

yep...you can almost for sure find some good shops in your country, or in europe at least...and you dont pay any customs within europe

why you guys such intel fanboys? :p if you're going for price get some sort of low cost amd chip for your cpu...

While there are Intel fanboys, I say in this case it has nothing to do with fanboyism. I'm currently using a Phenom II, and used to have an Athlon X2 on my previous rig, and even I acknowledge Intel CPUs are better most of the time, and I'll probably go with a Sandy Bridge CPU for my next rig.

Back