I have a strange laptop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadhacker

Crazy Train
Ok today I found an old dell latitude in my computer lab's trash. The sticker on it claims that it is a pentium 3

The only thing it is missing is a hard drive. When using batteries or wall power, and I try to turn it on, nothing happens except for the LEDs coming on for about 5 seconds. They then turn off, and nothing else happens. When the lights are on, nothing else seems to be working. Not even the fan is running.

So I am confused as to what is wrong with the laptop. I would really like to get it running at least for the fun of it (though with a pentium 3, there is not much I can do except maybe run old computer games and store mp3s).

Is it because there i no hard drive?. I have an old 2.5 laptop HD from another dell latitude (slightly older), but the plugs won't match up.

Nope, it ought to boot without one.

Let me guess, it's a dell Latitude C600 or some C series, right?

It's a dell cpx

I figured out the problem though. It is just that there was no ram in it.

Too bad i don't have the adapter thing so my HD will fit.

Actually the booting is by the boot sector and the boot sector is on the HDD. So if you don't have the HDD then how you can do this. You have to install new HDD for the laptop working. And the HDD will be of the same company as the laptop. So there is main thing is the HDD. Nothing will be done without HDD. It is toy.

martine4161 said:
Actually the booting is by the boot sector and the boot sector is on the HDD. So if you don't have the HDD then how you can do this. You have to install new HDD for the laptop working. And the HDD will be of the same company as the laptop. So there is main thing is the HDD. Nothing will be done without HDD. It is toy.

WTF AM I READING!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back