I have a few questions about modding the N64

Hi there, ModRetro forums. I've been doing a lot of research on modding the N64 to turn it into a handheld, and I think I want to get started on this project. I'm quite new to a lot of this, but I'm going to try working on my already-fried N64 for practice and perspective before I start the real work on the one I want to use for the project. I have a few questions though.

1. I've done some soldering before, but I am entirely new to PCB trimming. What kind of tool is best for this? I've read about using a Dremel but, if I were to use one, what bit would I want? Any tutorials on how to trim the N64 board so as not to compromise vital parts on the board?
2. Any recommendations on where I can find a PS1 screen?
3. Can you give me any tips or link me to any tutorials for soldering the Expansion Pak and a N64 memory card directly onto the board?
4. I originally wanted to make my own case but then discovered Polycase and decided it would be easier to just buy from them. I'm going to order a free sample case on Tuesday to get a better idea of the dimensions/space I'll be working with. With that said, do you recommend the AG-85 or ZN-40? Those are the two I'm leaning towards.
5. How do I cut out the spaces for buttons on the case?

Thank you!

I'd say not to bother trying to find and use a psone screen anymore, They've become rare and expensive, Try a 3.5" or a 4.3" screen from ebay/dealextreme. Here and Here

Well, I've made the decision (probably a wise one) to do a SNES portable using a mini-SNES before starting the N64 portable since this is my first time doing this. I've read that, in general, the older the console it the easier it is to make portable. When this is successful, then I'll do the N64. Good news on the PS1 screen though. I have a friend in Connecticut who's going to send me three of them plus the console for just the shipping cost. He's a pack-rat and he has a mini-SNES and three PS1 LCD screens, plus a few games and controllers.

Sweet! Looking forward to what you come up with! Pro tip - get stuff out of their cases, wired together, and working first. Then measure everything meticulously and THEN come up with your case. Daydream, fantasize, etc. about what you want it to look like, but practice getting the guts wired together and working before doing anything else. It will be educational!

Life of Brian said:
Sweet! Looking forward to what you come up with! Pro tip - get stuff out of their cases, wired together, and working first. Then measure everything meticulously and THEN come up with your case. Daydream, fantasize, etc. about what you want it to look like, but practice getting the guts wired together and working before doing anything else. It will be educational!
Thanks for the advice, Life of Brian. That's certainly already my plan, it just makes sense to get it all wired up first because if I don't do that I may end up doing a bunch of work on a case for nothing. By the way, I've seen your work on the Ben Heck forums and I'm very impressed. :)

Brushstroke said:
By the way, I've seen your work on the Ben Heck forums and I'm very impressed. :)
Yay! Thanks!

There's nothing worse than putting a lot of work into a case, getting all the electronics in place and securing it with an inappropriately large amount of hot glue, and discovering that something isn't working. I've done that far too many times.

Back