I fixed a macbook with a hair-dryer

laingsoft

Formerly SteamDNT
My mother's macbook air died, because of the cost of repair, she opted to buy a new 13" model instead of the old 11" one she had before.
She was going to throw this one in the garbage(seriously) so I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Anyway, the screen was glitching out, then would eventually just stop displaying an image. This is what would happen after:
Kwp0wl.jpg

I didn't want to open up the laptop, but I knew that the GPU would be close to this spot, so I hopelessly started up my hair-dryer and started getting it hot.

lonFZl.jpg

I got it hot to the point when I couldn't hold it any more, then I set it down and let it cool.

I booted it up, not thinking that it would work.
But low and IGNORE:
1wC90l.jpg

I've run some stress tests, I've been playing CSS for a while, and I have been using it for the past 2 days, and I have not had a single graphical glitch.

So, What could I have done? I doubt that it would be hot enough to actually reball the BGA, I mostly tried this out of desperation, and while I was waiting for my Torx-4 to come in the mail.
Anyone with any knowledge of Air's know what happened? Was it a fluke?

(I have no idea why that picture turned orange.)

I've twice stuck my laptop's motherboard in the oven to reflow the solder on the GPU.

It really shouldn't afaik. That's why you usually need a heat gun.

I'm not really sure how this worked, but I guess you got really lucky.

It didn't get hot enough to reflow solder completely, but maybe enough to expand something just enough to make contact.
8flJC.gif
You might want to reflow it with a real heat gun once your tools come in the mail.

SteamDNT said:
She was going to throw this one in the garbage(seriously)

[insert joke about the Apple fanatic mindset here]

(I have no idea why that picture turned orange.)

Blame the automatic white balance on your camera picking out the relatively blue LCD backlight.

So, I talked her through what happened before the screen started glitching up. Apparently, she had set in on a wet table.

Keep in mind though, the screen was glitching up DAYS after she did this. Although, I could see some water getting stuck between the balls on the BGA, shorting it out or something.

Anyway, It's been 3 days, no problems so far.

This thread is responsible for the laptop currently in my oven.

It smells like cookies.

Try reflowing the motherboard with a heat gun. (CPU and GPU, especially.) I bought a Wagner for $25 at Lowes, and it gets hot enough to melt solder. It's great for parts salvage, but I haven't tried it on anything I care about yet. (If you don't find it with the power tools, check the paint department near the sprayers.) There's a cheaper one at Harbor Freight, but I'm wary of buying a 1200 watt handheld heating element from them.

Take everything off of the motherboard that I *reasonably* can

Bake at 385 for 10 minutesor until golden brown.

ttsgeb said:
Take everything off of the motherboard that I *reasonably* can

Bake at 385 for 10 minutesor until golden brown.
Did you use spacers of some sort so the mobo isn't placed directly on the rack or cookie sheet?

I put it on a silicone cake pan on top of a cookie sheet.

I'd try again, but I already put all the stuff back together and don't feel like messing with it anytime soon.

If all else fails, I can sell the screen for like $65...

There are people that make a good amount of money doing this to broken 360s/PS3s and reselling them. That is, if you can live with the fact they'll probably break down again some months or years down the line.

Back