I am going to buy a laptop....what should I get?

hailrazer said:
I have bought laptops exclusively for the last 10 years.

HP are total CRAP !!!..

One the screen dies.
Two others the power jacks stopped working
One the hard drive crashed 4 times.
Latest one the screen hinges broke.

ALL of them right after the warranty was up. Had to repair myself.

I have since switched to Gateways. $ of them and not a single problem. So......

DON'T EVER BUY HP LAPTOPS !!!!!

THEN GET A GATEWAY MINI 311!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AfroLH said:
hailrazer said:
I have bought laptops exclusively for the last 10 years.

HP are total CRAP !!!..

One the screen dies.
Two others the power jacks stopped working
One the hard drive crashed 4 times.
Latest one the screen hinges broke.

ALL of them right after the warranty was up. Had to repair myself.

I have since switched to Gateways. $ of them and not a single problem. So......

DON'T EVER BUY HP LAPTOPS !!!!!

THEN GET A GATEWAY MINI 311!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS A GREAT IDE-----oh wait...dangit

But Seriously, don't listen to them.

This HP Mini 311 is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awesome. I absolutely love it.
Never gives me trouble.

Tchay said:
The Macbook is also a possibility since it has Windows 7 and great speed.
Yes.

MacBooks are easily upgradeable if the RAM or the HDD or whatever is too small for your needs (most computers are, but Macs are especially simple to upgrade) plus, you can experiment with all 3 OSes. If you don't like OS X, then only put 5GB to OS X and set the rest to Windows 7 or Linux.

There really isn't any way you can go wrong with a MacBook Pro. (PRO, not normal. Pros are MUCH better)

And Zero, that's odd about your battery. How frequently are you charging it and how long do you charge it for? I know certain charging can drain the battery really fast, and if you charge it right, you can increase the battery life. I assume you charge it whenever you're near the charger and take it out when you're not, right? Well if so, don't do that. You should always try to run it down to 1% battery life (if you want, even less) before plugging it back in. You don't ALWAYS have to do this, but it's a good habit to get into and it keeps your batteries very stable. My battery only held 3 hours, but I've trained it to go up to 4. When you plug it back in and it's not at low power, it thinks it IS at low power. When you unplug it and it's not done charging it thinks it is, and you can ruin batteries this way. When I was younger, my battery was down to 45 minutes on a full charge. And as for Tchay, if you get a MacBook you won't need to worry as much. New batteries last about 7-8 hours on average

Lawl, pLover, I think this is the second time you've mistaken me for Zero!

As far as I know, the MacBook's battery cycle was usually like this: Charged to full, unplugged. Used until battery is low enough to need recharging. (Like, 5% or less.) Recharged to full. Repeat cycle. Basically how it's supposed to be used.

I have to agree with hailrazer about HP laptops. The power jack gave out on my moms, the other overheated. I do think that they make great desktops, but I'll never put my money into another HP. I'd rather wait for Dell to release their own ION netbook/notebook.

pLover said:
You should always try to run it down to 1% battery life (if you want, even less) before plugging it back in.

This is a terrible idea. Li-ion batteries do a lot better if you keep them in the 30-100% charged range. You only need to run it down to the bottom every few months to keep the battery gauge in tune, but doing it every time is not that great for the battery.

PalmerTech said:
pLover said:
You should always try to run it down to 1% battery life (if you want, even less) before plugging it back in.

This is a terrible idea. Li-ion batteries do a lot better if you keep them in the 30-100% charged range. You only need to run it down to the bottom every few months to keep the battery gauge in tune, but doing it every time is not that great for the battery.
Well mine's got above-average battery life, and that's what I do, so... I don't know what to say.

Twilight Wolf said:
Lawl, pLover, I think this is the second time you've mistaken me for Zero!

Its because our names, avatars, rank, and sigs are so similar. :lol:

pLover said:
PalmerTech said:
pLover said:

Well mine's got above-average battery life, and that's what I do, so... I don't know what to say.

Oh, I am not saying your way kills them or anything. Certainly better than keeping it always plugged it. Just saying my way is better. :awesome:

Back