how would i make a portable genesis.

Well first things first, you probably want to see if it works.

If it does, take it apart. I'm not sure what kind of trimming you can do to the hardware, but for a first portable it's fine not to.

Next, you're going to need batteries and a screen, and work out a way to run your screen and your system off of your batteries.

Lastly, make a case.

But firstly, you should make sure your console works.

DS battery would work but you wouldn't have gargantuan battery life..
I dont know the voltage needs of the genesis but you should consider the nice 3.7v LiIon batteries in HailRazer's guide. I think they will get you atleast 3 hours of battery life with a screen.
b(^_^)d

If you're looking for smaller size, I suggest a Radica. Small motherboard, measures roughly 2 x 4 inches.

zeturi said:
If you're looking for smaller size, I suggest a Radica. Small motherboard, measures roughly 2 x 4 inches.
Also only runs a set of built in games, right?

And the 3 can be nearly that small anyway. (4.5"x4" with minimal rewiring, smaller if you wanna get hardcore)

You can add a cartridge slot, which is not difficult. Also, it's still half the size of the 4.5 x 4 inch Genesis 3 I trimmed.

EDIT: To follow up on this, my max cut Genesis 3 (without rcp-style cart slot wiring) measured 103mm x 95mm. A stock Radica measures 93mm x 49 mm. A max-cut Radica (with minimal relocation of parts) is 74mm x 42mm.

For compatibility's sake, I would say to use a Genesis 3. They're already pretty small, have fairly low power consumption, and already come with their own cartridge slot.

But I would overall still suggest the Radica. It only consumes ~80 mah, and is half the size of the max-cut Genesis. It is very easy to desolder the onboard ROM chip and add a cart slot from a Sonic and Knuckles cartridge or Game Genie.

How do you rewire a Radica for a cart slot. I know Ben did it, but I don't see any guides or pinouts on it.

Ben's pinout labels the pins of the Genesis cart slot (top), and the Radica ROM chip (bottom).

RadicaCartridgeSlot.jpg

You're basically just soldering A1 to A1, D7 to D7, GND to GND, etc. They're all the same pins, just a bit out of order or mixed up.

If that's the same chip, then yes, it can be done. Also, I hella wanted one of those for christmas. :(

Back