How to wire up power in your portable!

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
2rh4mrn.jpg

Most people understand what to do up until "Console," then they lose their minds.

I have provided a picture example of what "Console" is:
yup2.png

Console is basically everything in the portable that requires power.

Note: I do not recommend using a fan in an n64 portable, unless you want to sacrifice power to attempt to make it a little cooler. It is not a requirement by any means.

SS

Can I wire a ground line from the ac power jack to the charger port and have that all go back to the battery?

This is a great guide! But there is just one thing I can't seem to grasp. I don't understand why you have to have both a charger port and an AC adapter port connected from the li-po battery protection circuit to the on/off switch.

Well, you see, the AC adapter port is for playing, and the charging port for charging.
Lithium-based batteries need a special charger or else they become incredibly unstable and can get really hot and explode. This special charger doesn't have a steady flow and shuts off when done, so it's not suitable for use to power the console while in use.
They're both sort of connected together because everything shares the same ground in this application.

Okay that makes sense, but in my case I am using a portable dvd player and planned on using the port from that to charge my system. So since I need two ports (One charger and one AC), do I need to obtain a specific kind of port in order for it to work properly?

Do you know the best place for getting a charger port (not the smart charger but the plug)? Because as of now I only have one that came with my portable DVD player. Or should I just find the same kind of plug in some other electronic device?

What is that power switch's actual name and does anyone know where i can get a charger port. Any help would be very appreciated.

Nazum said:
What is that power switch's actual name and does anyone know where i can get a charger port. Any help would be very appreciated.
DPDT (Double Pole Doble Throw), scroll up.

IIRC, 12V will kill a PSOne screen, and for charging you need a smart charger.

About that...

Isn't it true that so long as there's a voltage difference of 7.4 volts across the two wires, it doesnt matter if it comes from the smart charger or the batteries?

I think someone should test this. If no one has by the time I get my equipment, I'll post it.

Back