How to use original Xbox controlers on PC?

Alright, I have a dilemma. I recently received two xbox controllers as a gift, but 1) I don't know to make them work on a PC, and 2) Even if I did, the little end pieces for the cables are missing. What can I do? I have one busted 360 controller lying around, if the cables are compatible. Right now my plan is to try to get a hold of one of the end attachments and then buy something called a 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box, but I'd like to avoid spending money if I can. Apologies if this is already covered somewhere else on the forums, but I didn't see a controllers section. Also, what are the end attachments for the controller cable actually called? I'm trying to see if I can just find those online, but I don't know what to search for. Many thanks in advance for any help given.

The 360 controller dongle won't plug into the xbox, but you can splice the usb plug onto your xbox controller to use it.

Connect all the matching colors and disregard the one that doesn't match.

After doing that, look up xbcd, toss it on your computer, and plug everything in.

Assuming you got good controllers and did everything right, You'll be able to configure the xbox controllers as joysticks.

ttsgeb said:
The 360 controller dongle won't plug into the xbox, but you can splice the usb plug onto your xbox controller to use it.

Connect all the matching colors and disregard the one that doesn't match.

After doing that, look up xbcd, toss it on your computer, and plug everything in.

Assuming you got good controllers and did everything right, You'll be able to configure the xbox controllers as joysticks.

Alright, I'm assuming I'm supposed to solder the wires together? After I splice them, what can I do to put a new protective cover over them?

My Windows 7 came with an Xbox360 controller driver, is that xbcd? If not, will they interfere with each other?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Yeah, soldering them together would be your best bet there. :p

after that, wrap them in electrical tape, or put shrink wrap on them. Or hotglue... or duct tape... just something to isolate them electrically from each other to some extent.

The 360 controller drivers are NOT compatible with the original controllers. You will need to find xbcd. It won't be hard to get ahold of. if you know how to use a search engine, you can find it in mere seconds.

You can technically just twist them together tight, but I really don't recommend that. If you want it to actually last, just solder it. It's pretty easy to do even with no prior experience.

Yeah... Like... one of these was my second soldering project... It still works 5 years later.

Will this only work with Xbox controllers? Ive been wondering if it will work for GameCube too.

Spoleyo said:
Will this only work with ? Ive been wondering if it will work too.
Nope. Xbox controllers are actually USB 1.0 ports with a different shaped plug.

i have one that i made on my own. there is a way that you can make it work as both an x box original controller and a pc controller, if any cares i could post up a guide on how to do it.

Back