How to trim a Wii disc drive?

zack

I'm just curious about the matter. I've searched all over Google but haven't found any useful guides. I know it's possible because Ashen was selling one here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6383
I just got a free Wii, so I'm considering adding a trimmed disc drive to my portable gamecube if it's not too difficult. If someone could point me to some disc drive trimming resources, or post what you know here. Thanks

I took apart my Wii and discovered that the disc drive's controller board is much smaller than the one on my previous drive.
Here's my previous drive
92n5.jpg

And here's the one I just got
ofmm.jpg

I thought the one ashen had was trimmed, but now I see he had this version of the drive instead. It seems reducing the size of a wii disc drive is not about trimming boards, but more about removing parts of the drive, like the whole slot-loading mechanism.

Still, I have questions.
Like what the heck is this thing?
1g5v.jpg

And this button?
n54z.jpg

I know I can wire the main ribbon cable to a WKF, but what about this ribbon cable? Pretty sure it's for the disc drive motors, but where can I wire it?
oez6.jpg

I know these are a lot of questions but any info is appreciated. Basically I just need to know what to do to get the disc drive functioning properly with a gamecube.

Back