How to tell if mobo is working

bouchandre

So I have a spare GC motherboard and I would like to know what's the problem with it. It's still in it's original state without any trim done to it. I tried plugging it into the TV, and when I turn it on, the screen flashes once and stays blank. If I touch the processors, they are generating heat so current is going trough them. Does anyone know what's the problem? Thanks!

Make sure you have good connections to ground and that the regulator is working properly. Otherwise I basically have a similar issue. My trimmed mobo heats up but no picture.

You can check resistance between G and 1.9v it should be around 25-30 ohm

Thanks! I just checked ground and 1.9v on the motherboard and they seem to be bridged together, there is no resistance between them. I checked everywhere on the board but I can't find the connection.

As a rule of thumb, you want to check all of your voltage lines when troubleshooting (before diving into anything crazy). With a multimeter, check your 1.9v line and see what it reads. Check the voltage while turning the GC on and off. It will quickly drop from 1.9v to 0 if there is a short.

Take some pics of your setup as well (closeup of the mob).

I found out what the problem was. After closer inspection I realized that I had removed the 2 mx chips from the motherboard a while back.

Back