How to get 3.3v for your N64p.

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
Welcome to part 1 of SS's boot camp for noobs that want to build N64 portables. I AM GOING TO BE ROUGH WITH YOU SO THAT YOU WILL LEARN.

Yeah, apparently this thread doesn't exist in the sticky, or it isn't Dang obvious enough to all the noobs as it is to us who have been part of the community for 50 years, so for all the noobs out there, this is the thread that you were looking for. I say that, because this me basically holding your hand through this process even though it is basically covered in XCVG's guide.

So you have a battery(likely 7.4v) in your left hand and an n64 in your right. You are trying to make the n64 run off of it, but you realize(I tell you) that while the N64's 12v line will run off of 7.4v, it's 3.3v line will NOT run off of 7.4v. You then realize(I tell you again) that you need a 3.3v regulator, to be connected in between the battery and the n64 to make it run off of 7.4v and 3.3v. How do?

STEP 1: Order parts.
You will need:
- A PTH08080 (get from ti.com)
- A 100uF 16v or higher capacitor. (found in an n64 power supply, maybe at your local radioshack, order online)
- A 1.87k resistor (order online, or combine two resistors from a multipack)

"Why do I need that specific resistance?"
Because only noobs get close, professionals get it right.
You CAN use a little bit more or less resistance, but seeing as how N64's can be picky and seeing as how THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL COMPONENT OF AN N64 PORTABLE you might as well get it right.

STEP 2: Solder said parts together.
Like this:
3v228v2.jpg

^ Image belongs to Skyone

"How do I solder?"
Google it. If you can't do that, plug in the iron and hold it by the metal until it get's hot, let it go when it gets too hot, wait 5 seconds, then squeeze the metal part again. It should feel cool to the touch. If that doesn't work, keep squeezing until you no longer feel any heat.

STEP 3: Wire regulator to N64.
Wire 3.3v output(Pin 3 above) to the 3.3v contacts on the n64 board.
Wire Voltage in(Pin 1 above) to the 12v contacts on the n64 board.
Wire Ground(pin 2 above) to the GND contacts on the n64 board.
powerpinout.png

^ Image horrendously franken'd from Beta's beautiful work

There, now you have successfully installed the 3.3v regulator to your N64.

"It's not working!"
You screwed up, review your steps. Check your connections, check for shorts, check your ground wires, check your everything. Then check it again. Keep checking until you find the problem. Take some time off, have a sandwich, take a nap, then check some more.

SS

So do we wire the 3.3v and ground to all of their contacts on the board or just one?

You sound more like jlee lately, SS... I lol'd when I read the "Its not working... you screwed up" part. We need more blunt tuts like this.

For noobs that took that dead seriously: 1.8K or 2K is close enough unless you are OCD. Higher resistance might actually be better as it gives a slight undervolt, but some N64s don't like that.

XCVG said:
For noobs that took that dead seriously: 1.8K or 2K is close enough unless you are OCD. Higher resistance might actually be better as it gives a slight undervolt, but some N64s don't like that.

It's not OCD, it's being safe and giving the N64 what it wants and the same voltage it's been getting from it's power adapter.
Plus, it's one less thing to troubleshoot when every noob ever eventually has problems with his n64p, and N64's can be very picky about that line so it's best to just use the proper resistance.

It's also RIDICULOUSLY EASY to get the proper resistance, so there's no logical reason not to.

Besides, the example you're setting up is that it's okay to just get close, and if someone goes through the entire build process with that mindset then you end up with a sub-par portable.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
XCVG said:

It's not OCD, it's being safe and giving the N64 what it wants and the same voltage it's been getting from it's power adapter.
Plus, it's one less thing to troubleshoot when every noob ever eventually has problems with his n64p, and N64's can be very picky about that line so it's best to just use the proper resistance.

It's also RIDICULOUSLY EASY to get the proper resistance, so there's no logical reason not to.

Besides, the example you're setting up is that it's okay to just get close, and if someone goes through the entire build process with that mindset then you end up with a sub-par portable.

SS

I respectfully disagree with that statement, SS. A slight undervolt will actually improve power efficiency and heat production. It's also harder to get a 1.87K resistor than a 1.8K or 2.2K one. However, you are right about noobs and troubleshooting. Some people have much different definitions of "close".

To be sure, though, a good idea is to test the voltage regulator BEFORE you connect it to your N64. 3.3x volts is good. 3.2 is okay, 3.4 or 3.1 are pushing it.

By what margin would it reduce it? I doubt that it would be that noticeable, probably insignificant...and the regulator doesn't even get that hot. It's probably harder to get(a straight up 1.87k resistor), but you can tie two resistors together incredibly easy, it only takes a few fingers and two resistors.

Testing is always a good idea.

SS

I'm not sure, but I believe either Mario or marshallh has tested it. It wasn't huge, no, but it was noticeable.

In what way is 3.1v "pushing it"? Is that terribly bad? I've always had ~3.14v for my portables.

Hi, I am a noob and was wondering if it would be a regulator problem if my n64 was turning on, but the LED flickers a bit and whenever i plug it into a screen it just shows a few horizontal lines, please help me :cry4:

Are you getting the right voltage on the 3.3V line? The 12V line? Be careful not to short the two while testing.

Sounds like an undervolt on the 3.3v line. That LED and all of the A/V logic runs of the 3.3v line and if it is getting undervolted, the LED and picture will be affected. It's probably just barely undervolted seeing as the LED is flickering as opposed to just being off and the picture is just screwy.

I'm getting a reading of 3.24V and was trying to get my hands on a 1.87 resistor but I'm having trouble ordering a few off the internet, if i want one i have to get 100......but i understand you can put two resistors from a multipack together, which ones do i put together and can i get a multipack with both at radioshack?

Putting them together in series adds the resistance together, so add up the numbers.

If you get a good multipack, it'll have what you need.

SS

Well,this still was useless to me in a way or two.
1. The soldering point for the 3.3v on the pht08080 was wrong or at least for me.
This one didn't work and it was in the stickies well sorta not the pic but the 3.3v line was.
142.jpg

and this one was shockslayers and well it didn't work for me either.
1324.jpg

And well when I was desoldering the 3.3v wire I accidentally touch a transistor(i think that what it is called.) and it turned the light on the n64. Here is a pic of where i got the 3.3v i needed for the n64
8888.jpg

Back