How should i handle abs cement?

lyberty5

I am soon going to get some abs cement, i was wondering how to apply it? With my fingers? With a knife?

I use a little piece of paper. It basically just acts as a barrier between me and the ABS, not because it's toxic, but because it's easier to clean up that way.

I use a popsicle stick or q-tip. Acetone is nasty but liquid ABS not so much. Usually I'm too lazy to wear gloves.

Gloves work well. Fairly easy cleanup; just take the gloves off when you're finished.

What're you using it for, out of curiosity?

Hermaphroditus said:
What're you using it for, out of curiosity?

this :
100822072314750306.jpg

the epoxy i used doesn't hold flux, i broke it a week ago

Ah, alright. I was mostly just wondering because I am using ABS cement to fill some holes and do some minor working on a calculator I'm customizing at the moment.

Remember though, ABS cement will have small air bubble holes once you sand it smooth. You can always fill those with spot and glazing epoxy putty, though.

use your fingers. I have every time I use it. despite what people say why you shouldn't, keep this in mind. Acetone, which is in abs cement, is also in nail polish remover. And girls put that on their fingers all the time.

themadhacker said:
use your fingers. I have every time I use it. despite what people say why you shouldn't, keep this in mind. Acetone, which is in abs cement, is also in nail polish remover. And girls put that on their fingers all the time.
Well, some girls. I, for one, touch real acetone considerably more often. And seriously, anyone who is afraid to touch ABS cement is a fool, of the same sort who fears swine flu. Worst it can do is dry out your skin a little, and thats only if you leave it on you skin for an extended period.

Back