How do you paint?

bentomo

Frequent Poster
I've never properly learned this, and I've only used krylon fusion.

And I don't know if I've been doing it right or wrong but, krylon fusion does not bond to plastic. :wtf:

I've been looking for a new brand of paint to use that is much more permanent and better quality.

What do you guys paint your cases with.

(Ishmeal chime in please?)

Montana_Spray_Cans_Paint.jpg

They have recently changed up the formula for the Montana Gold cans. It is essentially acrylic paint in an aerosol can. They also have different cap sizes for varying spray widths. Over 200 colors to choose from. Looking at about $7 a can (+ shipping if you can't find it at your local art store) They are the ultimate artist's paint. Pick up a can of the color you want, and a can of either gloss or matte finish and you're set.

Thanks for the quick response.

Also I've tried to use google but cannot find a proper guide for spray painting. I have no idea what the drying time should be.

Is there one for this kind?

Here's the way I do it:
Shake the can vigorously for about a minute. Pop the cap off and take out the black safety ring. Put the cap back on and test spray on something that isn't your case cause it's likely the first time you use it there will be a couple seconds of propellant-saturated paint coming out. Test spray until you get a good solid stream of color. Hold the can about 15" from your case and when you have the cap pushed down you should always be moving. Your first coat should look like a light dusting of color. That will dry within 10 minutes and you can do another coat the same way. Keep doing this until you get good solid coverage. The lighter your coats, the faster they dry. The finish dries almost instantly (or within a few minutes).

Primer, paint, clear coat. Clear coat may be omitted on things that don't need to be handled or won't be seen up close, but primer should never be omitted. Painting is more about the technique than the paint you use. I've never tried Montana Gold, but if it's what Ish uses, you should try it.

So the only thing you need to do is lay on very thin layers and 10 minutes in between, and then a clear coat to finish?

(aside from all the custom stencil making that you do to make a gameboy look awesome)

bentomo said:

And I don't know if I've been doing it right or wrong but, krylon fusion does not bond to plastic. :wtf:

Kryln Fusion bonds wonderfully to plastic.

You need to lightly sand the plastic first to get off residue dirt oil etc or it won't bond.

hailrazer said:
bentomo said:

Kryln Fusion bonds wonderfully to plastic.

You need to lightly sand the plastic first to get off residue dirt oil etc or it won't bond.
Maybe I'm using it wrong then. I've painted several different kinds of plastics with it, it never stays on well.

Krylon Fusion sometimes works for me. But it has a tendency to rub off and not dry properly. Maybe it should be clearcoated first. As for priming, I thought priming was essential. Maybe it has something to do with that weird Montana Gold stuff?

I've never primed, even when I used to use krylon and rust-oleum. Montana even less so because it's not traditional spray paint, it's actual acrylic paint, which means (i dunno if there are art nerds out there) it hardens into a plastic anyway.

I knew about acrylic. I actually did not know that MG was actually an acrylic spray paint, though. I am glad I got some.

Oh, and the reason I knew about acrylics is because I have been in Decathlon, they forced us to learn the elements of art/music.

Back