Heatsink

Jidan

JEEEEEEEEDAN
Okay, so for my GCp, I'll be using the original heatsink and fan that came inside it. The stuff in my case is going to be pretty packed (in a ZN-45 alone, most likely (minus the DD)), and I was wondering if all this was enough to cool it and a 7808 for the battery>screen. I also kind of want to do what zeturi did and grind down the heat sink and stick the fan there (pointing towards the screen? :k)...any other ideas for heatsinking/cooling this thing?

Crap. Yeah. Sorry, haven't been here for very long and am still getting names confused - but anyway, would something like that work for the motherboard and the 7808 together?

I don't think the 7808 will make much of a difference, but wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to make sure.

Jidan said:
Crap. Yeah. Sorry, haven't been here for very long and am still getting names confused - but anyway, would something like that work for the motherboard and the 7808 together?

Yeah that setup should work fine. Make sure to have vents for air flow. But you will need a separate heatsink for the 7808 (to prevent it from breaking from the heat) - something 3.5cm x 3.5cm should work.

I would not recommend the 7808 however. From what I have heard, a "switching regulator" will work much more efficiently and draw less power. Check out Harshboy's worklog in the GC section on Benheck. I believe he is using one.

Yeah, I was told that the TI PTH0800 or something like that would work really well, but I
a) don't know how to get one
b) don't know if I need anything else besides that between the screen and 11.1v

Type Number 7808 Regulation Voltage +8V Maximum Current 1A Minimum Input Voltage +10.5V

Under the datasheet it said ^that^

does that mean that I can put in 11.1 and get 8 out (and will that be okay for the PSOne screen)?

Jidan said:
Type Number 7808 Regulation Voltage +8V Maximum Current 1A Minimum Input Voltage +10.5V

Under the datasheet it said ^that^

does that mean that I can put in 11.1 and get 8 out (and will that be okay for the PSOne screen)?

Yes. And yes.

Great, thanks a lot guys! :) I'll make a WIP for this thing in coming weeks so you can see what all I've learned from here in the past 3 weeks or so B)

EDIT: Do I need any kind of resistors or anything besides the 7808 since it gives off the right amount of volts for the screen?

128343688002656250hallelujahpra.jpg

Hah, caught the message before the edit :p I'll make sure to check out the info on switching regulators you post whenever you get around to it

Jidan said:
Hah, caught the message before the edit :p I'll make sure to check out the info on switching regulators you post whenever you get around to it

:ninj: nice one. Good news though, Harshboy is ganna post some info on his switching reg when he gets it in the mail (China takes forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

EDIT:

Harshboy's GC diagram with a switching regulator
GCN-1.png

CREDITS TO HARSHBOY FOR BEING COOL.......AGAIN.

Harshboy said:
In case you are interested in it already, here is the one I bought: AX3022 Based Switching Regulator

I will tell you how it works once I actually receive it. Just thought you might want to know what it looks like. It is fairly straightforward and easy to use as you can see.

The tiny board is the only part you need, the conversion board is useless for what we will use it for. We will just solder our Vin and Gnd to the left side of the board and the Vout and Gnd to the right side.

Using one of these will require a multimeter because, how it works is, the output voltage is set by the Pot's value (blue thing with the screw). It is clearly marked for lowering and raising the output voltage. Still, it is fairly simple to use.

My simple diagram for wiring it to a Gamecube Portable can be seen here: GCp Diagram Image. Obviously that is a different regulator but you can still see how it works.

There were cheaper switching regulators on eBay, but I chose this one for its simplicity!

Feel free to post this in that thread of yours discussing the 7808 and Heatsinks ;)

Back